7 Replies Latest reply on May 22, 2016 5:55 AM by sirjosh

Payroll in filemaker

sirjosh

I have problem try to create a payroll into my solution,  can anyone help me out?

• 1. Re: Payroll in filemaker
          RickWhitelaw

What's the problem exactly?

• 2. Re: Payroll in filemaker
            john_wolff

Hi,

Here in NZ we use PayRoll by MacBusiness Systems, an FMP runtime, www.macbusiness.co.nz/payroll

As the developer does the donkey work of including ALL of the deductions mandated by Inland Revenue as well as ALL the leave regulations mandated by NZ law and these can change as often as every year, Payroll is the one application that would be the last one that I'd bother to write!!

Your tax and holiday regulations may well be less demanding.

You could perhaps write to David Christie, the developer, for guidance but, as it's one of his business apps, you should not expect him to give away his code.

Cheers,

John

• 3. Re: Payroll in filemaker
              sirjosh

I try to develop a solution,  but challenges I had was how do I bring in the names of all staff on monthly bases. I do a mistake,  which I have not resolved.

I created a table and a portal to prepare payroll for one month,  but going to the next month I had challenges bringing in the 769 staff details into the new month.

I had the details of all staff in on portal, had forigen key to link them to the payroll portal,  but I think I am getting it wrong. If I try to create the next month payroll,   the names of the 769 would not appear, I have to bring in the names manually.  Is there any better idea to use?

• 4. Re: Payroll in filemaker
                john_wolff

Hi,

From your reply, I surmise that you are merely wanting a report of the monthly wages paid to 769 employees, not a way of reporting earnings and deductions to your local tax authority, which was my interpretation of a Payroll program.

If you have one table for Staff and another table for monthly wages, then you merely need to have a one to many relationship with the ability to create records in the monthly wages table. I expect you would have Employee Number as the key field to relate the two tables. That way your staff records will remain available from one month to the next and you will only be adding records to the Monthly wages table.

Does that make sense??

Regards,

John

• 5. Re: Payroll in filemaker
                  erolst

sirjosh wrote:

If I try to create the next month payroll, the names of the 769 would not appear, I have to bring in the names manually. Is there any better idea to use?

If you need one record per employee per month, the simplest way is to

• find all (active) employees

• export them (actually, only their primary ID) into the temporary folder

• go to the Payroll table and

• import the ID into the foreign key field (which creates exactly the required count of records)

• batch-replace the fields for year and month with the desired values

• do the same for any other fields that need to be batch-written

Note that you shouldn't “bring in the names”; the foreign key is quite sufficient to reference/display the name from the Employee table.

Make sure to avoid creating duplicates (records with the same combination of year, month and employeeID).

• 6. Re: Payroll in filemaker
                    sirjosh

Thanks I think I have gotten the idea now.

• 7. Re: Payroll in filemaker
                      sirjosh

Thanks for that idea,  I am grateful.