4 Replies Latest reply on May 22, 2016 9:16 AM by scottworld

Interesting container issue

scottworld

Not sure if this is a problem with FileMaker or if this is by design, but we noticed this interesting issue with container fields:

When a container field is set to "optimize for interactive content" (instead of "optimize for images"), you can no longer layer any objects or text on top of that container field in layout mode. If you try to layer an object on top of the container field in layout mode, it will not show up in browse mode... seems like the object might end up BEHIND the container field instead of ON TOP OF the container field.

However, you CAN successfully layer objects or text on top of a container field if the container field is set to "optimize for images".

In our particular circumstance, a client of ours has an interactive container field, and he wanted to obscure the container field under circumstances. For example:

- If the container field is empty, he wanted some text to appear on top of that container field that says "Please insert file here!" (UPDATE: I CAN DO THIS WITH FIELD PLACEHOLDERS, SO THIS ISN'T A PROBLEM.)

- If the record contains invalid data, a big image of a stop sign could appear over the container field, which would obscure the person from seeing the contents of the container field. (UPDATE: SEEMS LIKE THE WAY TO DO THIS IS TO HIDE THE CONTAINER FIELD ALTOGETHER UNDER THOSE CERTAIN CIRCUMSTANCES, SO THE OVERLAYED IMAGE CAN APPEAR. The only downside to this is that the user won't be able to see any of the container's contents behind the image, but that should be okay in this circumstance.)

But we can only do that if the container field is not set to interactive.

Thoughts?

Message was edited by: Scott Rose

• 1. Re: Interesting container issue
          Benjamin Fehr

AFAIK, container interactivity is based on Webkit resources. With that, I assume that WebViewer behavior applies.

A WV is always predominant though layering with other fields and objects won't work.

I see a workaround with another 'Hide Object IF' condition with same container field toggling.

- once with "optimize for Images" with condition IF [ NOT isEmpty(self) ] to drag content into the field,

- and second with "interactive content" with IF [ isEmpty(self) ]

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Interesting container issue
            scottworld

Ha, this is a great & ingenious workaround to this issue!! Thank you for this great idea!

That is actually the perfect solution for my clients' need to layer a graphic on top of an interactive container field. (The only real downside is that the user won't be able to see any of the container field's contents behind the graphic, but that should be okay.)

This idea would work for text layering needs also, but I also just realized that I could simply use "Placeholder Text" on an interactive container field to display text when the container field is empty. That actually works just fine on interactive container fields without any problems.

Thanks for the ideas!

• 3. Re: Interesting container issue
              Benjamin Fehr

(The only real downside is that the user won't be able to see any of the container field's contents behind the graphic, but that should be okay.)

Not sure if I got you right on this: Set Hide IF ( NOT isEmpty ( Table::myContainer ) ) for that graphic.

For the none interactive Container, you may consider to set

Fill [ None ]

so if you now set your instruction text behind the container, it will be visible.

• 4. Re: Interesting container issue
                scottworld

What I meant is that the client won't be able to have both worlds simultaneously: the full graphic showing visibly on top of the container field, PLUS a tiny bit of the interactive PDF peeking out underneath from behind the edges of the graphic to let the user see a bit of what is already in the container field. But that really shouldn't matter at all. Your solution shoild work great.