4 Replies Latest reply on May 9, 2017 6:39 AM by TSGal

Table occurrences (...) selection in dropdown lists on Windows

lem_alpha

Hello there,

this is actually broken since FMP 14, still is in 15.0.1, but was partly functional in 13 and earlier. MS Windows only (MacOS OK).

On Windows (7 and later), when selecting a table occurrence f.i. in the dialog box to set a field on a layout, or when creating a new link in the relationship graph, or when choosing an occurrence in a calculation window... the type ahead targeting of an item in the list doesn't work anymore.

In v13, it was at least working when typing the first character (this is of course only partly satisfactory compared to OsX where you can type ahead the full TO name...)

A real step forward would be to have the same behaviour as in OsX, but at least bring back targeting with one character.

Besides, TO targeting in the graph still works as before in Windows, but there too the behaviour isn't as efficient as in OsX : underscores break the name searched for. (eg : if there's a TO "invoice_client", there is no way of targeting "invoice_lines"). Would be nice to be able to type the full name.

• 1. Re: Table occurrences (...) selection in dropdown lists on Windows
          TSGal

lem_alpha:

Thank you for your post.

Using FileMaker Pro 15.0.1 under Windows 7, I am able to type the first letter of the table occurrence, and a table occurrence beginning with that first letter is highlighted.  As you have discovered, spaces or underscores will not be recognized under Windows.

Since the first letter is not being recognized under your copy of FileMaker Pro 15, do you have any plug-ins installed?  What other applications are currently active besides FileMaker Pro?

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Table occurrences (...) selection in dropdown lists on Windows
            lem_alpha

TSGal, thank you for your answer.

I was speaking about several things here, so I'm not sure what you are referring to.

OK for the relationship graph, we're on the same page here.

When I said "selecting a table occurrence f.i. in the dialog box to set a field on a layout, or when creating a new link in the relationship graph, or when choosing an occurrence in a calculation window", I meant once the TO selection dropdown list is unfolded, typeahead doesn't work anymore.

I admit it does work when dropdown list is not unfolded, but this is hardly usable without seeing the list, especially with numerous TO and considering only the first letter is matched.

For one thing, my mistake, in the calculation dialog box, it does work to choose a TO. But not to set/change ("specify") a field on a layout or to create a new link in the graph.

And anyway, just one letter is far from being comparable to the behaviour on OsX.

No plugin installed (removed everything to test again), and no other application active.

Again, this was already broken in 14.

Screenshot attached : specify field on a layout, dropdown list unfolded. No typeahead.

• 3. Re: Table occurrences (...) selection in dropdown lists on Windows
              TSGal

lem_alpha:

Thank you for the additional information.

Our Development and Testing departments are aware of typeahead not working for some dialogs.  I have attached your post to the original report.  When more information becomes available, I will let you know.

In your example, there is a workaround.  In Mac OS X, when the table pop-up value is selected, the focus automatically switches to the fields section beneath.  In Windows, the table pop-up value remains in focus after selection.  If you tab once, then the fields section is selected.

Next, in Mac OS X, the "::" that precedes each related field is ignored, and you can start by typing the related field name to select it.  In Windows, you must type the "::" that precedes each field.  For example, using your screen shot, once you select the table "dev__DEV__", press the tab key once to highlight the fields section, and then type "::isFactureLocked_bCU" to select the field.  Underscores and spaces are accepted.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Table occurrences (...) selection in dropdown lists on Windows
                TSGal

lem_alpha:

This issue has been addressed in FileMaker Pro 16.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.