1 2 3 4 Previous Next 57 Replies Latest reply on Nov 22, 2016 5:49 AM by support@scs.be

FileMaker 15 creating Damaged PDFs

Product and version FileMaker Advanced 15.0.1.119

OS and version  OS X 10.11.5

Browser and version (for WebDirect only)

Hardware MB Pro 13

Description Scripts that worked in FM 12, 13, and 14 using Save as PDF and Send Mail are sending out corrupted PDF files that cannot be opened.

In previous versions of FileMaker the PDF version was 1.4 but I see from the FM 15 Read Me that FM 15 has removed support for Acrobat 5 and 6 (PDF version 1.4). FM 15 is making version 1.6 PDFs but Adobe Reader DC, Acrobat Pro, and Apple Preview cannot read them. Clients who receive the PDF on Windows also cannot open these corrupted/damaged documents.

Steve Noble has also reported this problem in the forums:  Corrupt PDF

How to replicate

Script step "Save record as PDF"

Script step Send Mail (with Attachment)

Workaround (if any) None.

• 1. Re: FileMaker 15 creating Damaged PDFs
          TSGal

precursorca:

Thank you for your post.

Are you able to manually use File -> Save/Send Records As -> PDF...?

If you replace the Save Records as PDF script step with the old Compatibility setting with a new step, does the issue still occur?

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: FileMaker 15 creating Damaged PDFs
            user27293

I am also having the exact same issue.

I have saved records as PDF manually and I the resulting PDF is also no good. The only way I can do it is to print and then use the save as PDF dialogue box from there - but I can't automate the save location or filename.

This was a file that was working fine on FMP14, but this script step has not worked since upgrading to FMP15 on Friday (4 days ago).

• 3. Re: FileMaker 15 creating Damaged PDFs

In my opinion it is not a file attachment missing problem.

I have an attachment in email but it, like anything saved as PDF from a script is corrupt.

When examine the text of the corrupted PDF and comparing it to a know good PDF I see that the following string of text that is always present at the very end of a good PDF is missing from PDFs coming out of FileMaker 15.

"%%EOF”

So it is clear to me that the file being created by FM15 Save as PDF script step is incomplete.

This needs to be addressed.

---

Alex Narvey

anarvey@precursor.ca

• 4. Re: FileMaker 15 creating Damaged PDFs
                user27293

I agree that there is something wrong with the PDF exporter, not the email. However if I get the script to stop in preview mode then manually hit the 'Save as PDF' button in the toolbar the PDF is still faulty.

• 5. Re: FileMaker 15 creating Damaged PDFs
                  TSGal

precursorca:

Thank you for the additional information.

Even though I am unable to replicate the issue, and since another user is also experiencing the issue, I have sent your comments to our Development and Testing departments for review.  When I receive any feedback, I will let you know.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: FileMaker 15 creating Damaged PDFs
                    gregl

Some questions that may help tech support narrow down the problem and identify a fix, and help others reliably reproduce the problem for investigation:

• What fonts are used in the document? Are they fonts that come bundled with (built-in) the operating system? What types of fonts (TrueType, OpenType, etc.)?
                      • This can help determine whether the code to read, use, and embed fonts in the PDF is a factor
                    • Are there any graphics in the document? In containers, or placed directly on the layout? What types of graphics (i.e. what graphics file formats)? How big are they?
                      • This can help determine whether the code to render or place graphics in the output PDF is a factor, and whether there is a problem with specific graphics file formats
                    • Are there any web viewers in the document? What websites are they pointing to?
                      • This can help determine whether the code to fetch web pages and render them is a factor
                    • Does the script step create a password-protected PDF?
                      • This can help determine whether the code to encrypt the PDF is a factor
                    • Are there any portals in the layout?
                      • Empty portals were a factor in some other problems with SaveAsPDF

Someone else mentioned that the EOF line is missing from the output PDF. If this is the case, then it is very likely that the "object directory trailer" that's supposed to be at the end of a PDF file is also missing, and that's why PDF viewers identify it as corrupt, since they use it to identify the different parts of the PDF file.

• 7. Re: FileMaker 15 creating Damaged PDFs
                      gregl

Also, how much free disk space do you have when running the script?

• 8. Re: FileMaker 15 creating Damaged PDFs
                        TSGal

precursorca and user27293:

Testing is also unable to replicate the issue, so they have asked for a copy of your solution as well as a damaged PDF file so they can determine why it is failing.  I have sent each of you a private message with instructions where to send the files.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 9. Re: FileMaker 15 creating Damaged PDFs
                          gregl

Also, does the document use an exceptionally high number (e.g. hundreds) of different fonts? Is the machine under heavy use with plenty of open files?

• 10. Re: FileMaker 15 creating Damaged PDFs
                            TSGal

precursorca and user27293:

Does this issue occur with files created in FileMaker Pro 15?  In other words, does this issue only occur with files created prior to FileMaker Pro 15?

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 11. Re: FileMaker 15 creating Damaged PDFs

When I created a new file I had no problems.

I am sending you a copy of my problematic file.

---

Alex Narvey

anarvey@precursor.ca

• 12. Re: FileMaker 15 creating Damaged PDFs
                                user27293

It was a font issue.

Thank you so much for all your help. The layout that was generating the PDF only had 1 font, but it was not a standard font. I have changed it to Helvetica and now the PDF's are generating fine again.

• 13. Re: FileMaker 15 creating Damaged PDFs

Hmm, My layout only uses Helvetica already.

---

Alex Narvey

anarvey@precursor.ca

• 14. Re: FileMaker 15 creating Damaged PDFs
                                    gregl

Your file might have had different issues.

1 2 3 4 Previous Next