3 Replies Latest reply on May 23, 2016 6:35 AM by skywillmott

Can FM Go import photos from Photos app

Vaughan

Hello

I am developing an iPhone & iPad solution using FM Go (14 or 15). Is there a way to get photos already on the device (in the Photos library) into FM Go without having to import each photo individually? Ideally I'd like the user to click a button in FM Go and, with as little interaction as possible, have all the photos in the library magically appear in the FM Go database.

Many thanks!

• 1. Re: Can FM Go import photos from Photos app
          rgordon

I don't think this can be done because FileMaker Go. can only import from a fmp12 file. You could move the photos and file to a computer and  then import all of the photos from a folder.  You could use a looping script with an insert but the user would still need to pick every photo individually.

• 2. Re: Can FM Go import photos from Photos app
            schamblee

You can not import a group of pictures.  You can insert one photo at a time using insert from device : type photo library.  You could create a loop script with a dialog box  asking the user if they would like to import another photo.  The user has to select the photo from the photo library.

There might be a way to use javascript to automate, so I would not say it is impossible, just not anything built-in. 

• 3. Re: Can FM Go import photos from Photos app
              skywillmott

Will your solution be hosted on Filemaker Server, or just used locally on the devices?

If it is hosted on FileMaker Server, then I have managed to get multiple photo uploads selected from iOS Photos to work by using some web hosted javascript & the FileMaker PHP API to insert the images into the FileMaker database... The javascript bit was all put together using dropzone.js  - http://www.dropzonejs.com

The nice thing about dropzone.js was that as well as enabling drag & drop of multiple photos from Finder on Mac or Windows Explorer, it also allowed multiple photo selection from iOS photos!

The 'dropzone' itself is loaded into a Web Viewer within the FileMaker solution.... In FileMaker Go, the user just taps the 'dropzone' and the iOS photos selector pops up... Works great, but there was definitely a bit of trial and error to get everything working nicely. Another bonus was that it also works in WebDirect :-)