1 2 3 Previous Next 31 Replies Latest reply on May 27, 2016 12:56 PM by srzuch

Do Filemaker Server Licensing for teams include FileMaker Pro

g4guitar

I am a little confused as to how it works. I have a license for 5 x FileMaker Pro + 5 x concurrent server connections FileMaker as a bundle. I want to add more Filemaker Pro licenses. It seems to say this on their website and I have tried contacting support but no reply since last week so wondering if anyone can clarify. The bit that I am unsure about is ' through FileMaker Pro (for User Connections)'. Not sure whether this means FileMaker Pro is actually included. Can anyone clarify? Thank you.

FileMaker Licensing for Teams

A simple way for teams of 5 or more people to license FileMaker software. FileMaker Licensing for Teams includes FileMaker Server and User Connections for your team to access your custom apps through FileMaker Pro (for User Connections), FileMaker Go, or FileMaker WebDirect.

• 1. Re: Do Filemaker Server Licensing for teams include FileMaker Pro
          RickWhitelaw

It does not include FileMaker Pro.

• 2. Re: Do Filemaker Server Licensing for teams include FileMaker Pro
            Vaughan

FileMaker Pro for User Connections is a version of FMP that only connects to FMS, and is intended for use with the "Teams" licensing model.

It's my understanding that FMPFC is "free" however it needs a paid teams connection with FMS to function.

• 3. Re: Do Filemaker Server Licensing for teams include FileMaker Pro
              g4guitar

Thank you.

I am just not clear on what FMPFC is. Does this allow users to login via server to use Filemaker Pro rather than it being installed on their desktop or is it something else?

Thank you.

• 4. Re: Do Filemaker Server Licensing for teams include FileMaker Pro
                Vaughan

It's an application for OSX and Windows that's identical to FMP except it only opens databases that are hosted with FMS that have the teams connections licenses.

• 5. Re: Do Filemaker Server Licensing for teams include FileMaker Pro
                  Markus Schneider

includes FileMaker Pro!

- You have to be connected to the corresponding FM Server

-- after connecting, You can use FileMaker Pro 'normally', ie You can create, work on local files as well, etc

-- when not connected, after 15 Minutes FM will stop working

-> no way, if Your users are working off-line as well

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Do Filemaker Server Licensing for teams include FileMaker Pro
                    steveromig

It's an application for OSX and Windows that's identical to FMP except it only opens databases that are hosted with FMS that have the teams connections licenses.

This is not entirely true.

FileMaker Pro for User Connections requires that you authenticate against a compatible version of FileMaker Server (currently only FileMaker Server 15) in order to use it.  Once you have authenticated you can...

• Open a file that is hosted with the copy of FileMaker Server you authenticated against
                    • Open a file that is hosted with another compatible version of FileMaker Server
                    • Open or create a file locally on your own machine.

In other words, you are not limited to only opening a file that is hosted on the copy of FileMaker Server you authenticated against.

Steve Romig

FileMaker, Inc.

• 7. Re: Do Filemaker Server Licensing for teams include FileMaker Pro
                      flughase

Dear Steve

Maybe I am little bit blond or definitely confused about the new Team licensing. It is really confusing to understand. Can you please clarify:

When i oder let say new team license for 5 Users. Than do I have to buy EXTRA on top 5 licenses for the Filemaker pro client, or do I get the licenses keys for the new 5 Filemaker pro clients automatically when I buy the new team license??

I am looking forward to your reply

Many greetings

Thomas

• 8. Re: Do Filemaker Server Licensing for teams include FileMaker Pro
                        TSPigeon

flughase:

Steve is unavailable currently.

I can definitely understand how it might be confusing. Under FLT if you buy FileMaker Server 15 with 5 Users you will have 5 installations of FileMaker Pro. One for each user. One user could use WebDirect on their Laptop while they are out of office, but have FileMaker Pro installed and available on a Desktop at the office.

You would NOT buy 5 Users for access to WebDirect and FileMaker Go, and then 5 more for FileMaker Pro. One of the nice things about the new licensing is that it includes all Clients (aside of FileMaker Pro Advanced) without charging for them separately.

I hope this helps!

TSPigeon

FileMaker, Inc.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                        • 9. Re: Do Filemaker Server Licensing for teams include FileMaker Pro
                          flughase

Dear TSPigeon

Many thanks for your kind reply and bringing light into the dark tunnel.

Now it is clear... at least for myself

Many greetings and a nice evening

Thomas

• 10. Re: Do Filemaker Server Licensing for teams include FileMaker Pro
                            planteg

To add a bit of clarification, if you own FM Pro (not for user connection) or FM ProAdvanced, these still incorporate a license to connect to FMS15.

• 11. Re: Do Filemaker Server Licensing for teams include FileMaker Pro
                              nodisorder

My opinion / experience on the topic

1) FileMaker For Team is a huge improvement in the FileMaker licensing model, it’s a step towards the reality of things: the old licensing model was almost not explicable to anyone new to FileMaker. I truly believe that FileMaker should have shipped with this licensing model since FMP 13 and I can’t imagine how many sales were lost a cause of this.

2) Technically there are no changes: FileMaker Pro FLT is just a normal FileMaker Pro, the same installer just using a special license key that let you use it for 15 minutes then you need to connect to a server with an available user connection.

3) If you have any boxed version or AVLA or VLA version of FileMaker Pro or Advanced you can connect to the server without consuming any connection.

4) FLT is just a new licensing model, from a technical standpoint there are no differences.

5) The model is far better than before, the only big error in the strategy is that you may purchase only 5, 10, 15…FLT not 7, 12, 18 and this, again is a problem when you deal with customers, sooner or later FileMaker will need to change this 5 tiers model.

The power of FileMaker is that you may use it via app (Mac, Win, iOS) or Browser like many other services that are competing with us, please communicate that FileMaker is just a single product that enable teams to share data in an extremly convinient and personalized way, any other kind of communication is just confusion.

FLT is the first important step in this direction.

FLT is the most important (marketing) feature that I've seen in the last five years in the FileMaker Platform.

Just one product

Thanks

• 12. Re: Do Filemaker Server Licensing for teams include FileMaker Pro
                                nodisorder
                                I have a license for 5 x FileMaker Pro + 5 x concurrent server connections FileMaker as a bundle.

When you will install FMP15 server you will receive 5 FileMaker 15 FLT in addiction to your 5 FileMaker Pro.

You should have those FLT as a download in the FileMaker maintenance email.

Regards

Gianco

• 13. Re: Do Filemaker Server Licensing for teams include FileMaker Pro
                                  ErikWegweiser

It used to be fairly clear, even if it took just a little more explaining to clients that they simply had to buy FileMaker Pro client for each computer where Pro was to be installed and if they needed Go / WebDirect, they additionally purchased however many simultaneous connections of only those platforms they expected to need.

I appreciate FMI attempting to make this simpler, and to maintain fair monetization of all forms of connectivity.

It would truly be simple if all we had to do was price out the number of simultaneous connections a client needed, regardless of client platform. But this FLT concept of "user" = unique individual person is confusing and contradictory.

I keep hearing that even if a company has fewer devices than employees that would ever touch the database or would never have more than half of all their database users connected at a time, whether via Pro, Go, or WebDirect, they need to buy FLS based on the total users. Conflictingly, I keep hearing that a small number of unique individual person users at a company (say, 5) who [all] try to connect simultaneously via more than one client each, would run up against the maximum 5 seats of their license.

Well... which is it?

(And what about a company with five database users, three devices, and a facitious 4.7 Billion potential casual WebDirect users, most of whom would not be accessing simultaneously?)

• 14. Re: Do Filemaker Server Licensing for teams include FileMaker Pro
                                    srzuch

5) The model is far better than before, the only big error in the strategy is that you may purchase only 5, 10, 15…FLT not 7, 12, 18 and this, again is a problem when you deal with customers, sooner or later FileMaker will need to change this 5 tiers model.

The problem with the new model is that it refuses to distinguish between a full-blown user, with access via FileMaker Pro,  and the occasional user who infrequently needs to access information via web-direct.  

In the situation where I may have a hundred customers who need infrequent access, previously, I would've purchased 15-20 concurrent connections.  Under the new Team licensing, I need to purchase 100 user connections.   That is not going to happen. Instead I will look at a PHP interface to handle the infrequent customer use.   FileMaker loses revenue and I lose time.

Steve

1 2 3 Previous Next