1 2 3 Previous Next 62 Replies Latest reply on Aug 15, 2017 10:13 AM by timcad

FileMaker Pro 15 Install Fails to set File Association for all users

JEDtech

Product and version: FileMaker Pro 15.0.1.119 (Windows)

OS and version: Windows 7 sp1 or Windows Server 2008 RDT Server

Browser and version N/A

Hardware: Hewlett Packard Core i7 and others

Description:

Installed FileMaker 15.0.1.119 using Administrator account on a machine which logs into network accounts through Windows Server 2008.  After installation the administrator can double-click a .fmp12 or .fmpsl file and have it open FileMaker Pro.  When any other user logs in to the workstation however the default application for those file types is not set to FileMaker Pro and they either try to open some random application or the user is prompted for which application is to be used.

How to replicate

Install FMP 15 with an administrator account on a network-authenticated workstation or on a remote desktop server.  Log out and log back in as a different user and try to double-click a .fmp12 or .fmpsl document.

Workaround (if any)

Each user has to manually re-associate the file-suffixes or an administrator must do it through other tools such as the Group Policy Editor or registry.

• 1. Re: FileMaker Pro 15 Install Fails to set File Association for all users
          TSGal

JEDtech:

Thank you for your post.

I am unable to replicate the issue.  This is what I have done:

1. FileMaker Pro 15.0.1 was installed using an Administrator account on a Windows 7 machine.

2. After launching FileMaker Pro 15.0.1, I created a database file (A.fmp12) and saved it in the Program Files folder (so that other users can access the file).

3. I quit FileMaker Pro, and logged out of the Administrator account.

4. I logged in using a test account, and double-clicked the database file (A.fmp12), as it shows in the Program files folder as "FileMaker Pro Database".

5. Although FileMaker Pro 15 isn't launched, FileMaker Pro 14.0.5 was launched, as this may be the first program that Windows 7 was able to locate.

Let me know what I'm doing differently than you so I can replicate the issue.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: FileMaker Pro 15 Install Fails to set File Association for all users
            JEDtech

One significant difference is that on the target workstations FileMaker 14 had been previously installed but was de-installed prior to installing FileMaker 15.  You may have already hit on the issue however, the file association should have been updated to FileMaker 15 when it was installed so 14 should not have launched.

• 3. Re: FileMaker Pro 15 Install Fails to set File Association for all users
              JEDtech

Has there been any further information on this?  For now we are holding off all FileMaker 15 installations on Windows until there is a definitive answer or workaround.

• 4. Re: FileMaker Pro 15 Install Fails to set File Association for all users
                hschlossberg

I'd like to add my two cents to this.  On my own machine (Win 7 64-bit), where the only account is as administrator, I'd installed 15. I usually open databases directly from FM, but had an occasion last week where I double-clicked a file on my desktop.  I then got a message that FM 15 was being installed (i.e. the installer was somehow triggered).  When it finished, the file was open in 15.  Subsequent attempts at doing the same just open the file right away in 15, so the installer seemed to have properly compensated for something that was not properly set upon initial installation of 15.

Likewise the first time I called a FMP:// uri from IE, and then it was fine subsequent times.

One or both of these "extra" installations also seem to have fixed another issue I ran into after installation of 15: when I exported record data from FM15 in the ".FMP12" format and had marked "automatically open file", it then fired up FM14 and opened the file there...even though I was already in FM15.

I would say from the above that there are definitely some issues with the installer not updating all the registry settings it needs to upon initial install.

Howard

• 5. Re: FileMaker Pro 15 Install Fails to set File Association for all users
                  JEDtech

I also observed the file association somehow being linked to the installer on a couple of the machines.  On other machines it was either not linked at all or linked to some unrelated application.

• 6. Re: FileMaker Pro 15 Install Fails to set File Association for all users
                    TSPigeon

JEDtech & hschlossberg:

Thank you both for the information!

We have still been unable to reproduce this issue, however this is clearly an issue in some cases. I am sending a report to Testing and Development with the information on this thread. I will post back here once I've received a response.

TSPigeon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 7. Re: FileMaker Pro 15 Install Fails to set File Association for all users
                      user7615

We have faced this problem with our installs made with administrator account on Windows 7 Pro SP1. It seems that if you uninstall FileMaker Pro 14 after you have installed FileMaker Pro 15, file assosiation is lost and FileMaker Pro cant be found when searching for installed programs. This happens for normal user not for the administrator account.

• 8. Re: FileMaker Pro 15 Install Fails to set File Association for all users
                        bradyw

Not sure if it will be related however my company is experiencing a very similar issue with version 15.

We had the upgrade issue as JEDtech described however I also found today when I installed it on a brand new server (2012 R2 with no previous installs of FM) it had the exact same issue.

Administrator account that installed it could open the fmp12 file as normal however the standard user did not have the file associations set.

I tried to manually set it via policy however it made no difference.

We have dozens of servers and hundreds of workstations that will likely have this issue over the coming months as they are set up...

• 9. Re: FileMaker Pro 15 Install Fails to set File Association for all users
                          TSPigeon

user7615:

I will forward your information to the report!

bradyw:

I will forward this information on, but we've not seen any issues after manually setting the Association of a User. You might check that no other version of FileMaker Pro is already open (it may be defaulting to the opened application rather than the default association).

TSPigeon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 10. Re: FileMaker Pro 15 Install Fails to set File Association for all users
                            bradyw

I can confirm that no other version is already open.

I followed this guide to try and resolve the issue however now instead of opening the file it now just opens the Filemaker "Launch Center".

• 11. Re: FileMaker Pro 15 Install Fails to set File Association for all users
                              ronhofius

We have this issue as well. Another point in our environment that may be relevant is that the prior FM 14 installations were 64 bit, and because of the compatibility issues with Outlook, we're installing FM 15 32 bit (which place the executables under the program files x86 path rather than the regular program files path). We've even seen that when we leave 14 64 bit in place and just install 15 32 bit, even when you try to manually establish the file association to FM 15, it still launches 14 until it is uninstalled. In our case the solution has been to make sure we completely uninstall the prior version and then install 15.

• 12. Re: FileMaker Pro 15 Install Fails to set File Association for all users
                                ronhofius

We now have a situation that we can reproduce every time. We have Panasonic ToughPads in the field with FMP 14 64 bit and we're upgrading them to FMP 15 32 bit. We completely uninstall the previous version before installing the new.  Two things happen consistently: file associations to the .fmp12 extension don't work at all and need to be reestablished manually, and there is no reference to Filemaker in the "All Programs" menu choice (Windows 8.1). This is true whether we install while logged in as the user with administrative privileges or as the actual device's user and get prompted for administrative credentials during the install. The workaround is to manually establish the file association and place an FM shortcut in the "all users" program files folder.

• 13. Re: FileMaker Pro 15 Install Fails to set File Association for all users
                                  ronhofius

Update: I believe we were unchecking the "quick-launch toolbar" option while installing, which apparently leaves any reference to FM out of the "all programs" menu choice. We thought it was a legacy reference to what is now referred to as "pin to taskbar." When we install and leave that box checked, we do get FM in the "all programs" choice, but still have the file association issue.

• 14. Re: FileMaker Pro 15 Install Fails to set File Association for all users
                                    hschlossberg

hschlossberg wrote:

One or both of these "extra" installations also seem to have fixed another issue I ran into after installation of 15: when I exported record data from FM15 in the ".FMP12" format and had marked "automatically open file", it then fired up FM14 and opened the file there...even though I was already in FM15.

I don't know what's changed since my original post on June 9, but now when I export from FM15 to a new FM file and mark to automatically open -- it attempts to open the file in 15, but I get a dialog saying it is installing FileMaker 15 (even though I am doing the export from 15).

1 2 3 Previous Next