5 Replies Latest reply on May 24, 2016 9:21 PM by JohnGagne

WEB Direct and iPhone Browser (Can't connect to server)

JohnGagne

I just bought FM Advanced 15, and I installed the free FILEMAKER COMMUNITY developers version of FMS 15.

Phone browser can't connect to server.

Laptop Firefox browser connects and opens the WEBD FileMaker file perfectly.

In both cases, I click on a link embedded in an e-mail message.  So, the links are identical.  No human typing.

Any thoughts please?

John Gagne

• 1. Re: WEB Direct and iPhone Browser (Can't connect to server)
          TSPigeon

JohnGagne:

Thank you for your post!

You might want to verify the iPhone is connected to the same Local Network as the Laptop. If you aren't connecting through the local network you would want to setup Port forwarding to connect from another network or through your 4g/LTE Data.

It could also be a Firewall or Security Software preventing communication to the laptop on port 5003. You may be able to resolve this by making Inbound Exceptions on Port 5003 or turning off the Firewall/Security Software.

I hope this helps!

TSPigeon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: WEB Direct and iPhone Browser (Can't connect to server)
            JohnGagne

Turned off Firewall - failed

Turned off several options in iPhone Safari Settings - failed

(And I would not want clients to have to do something like that anyway.)

Again, when I click on a link in an e-mail message; the FM-15-WebD file opens PERFECTLY through Firefox on a laptop.  Clicking on the same link in the same e-mail FAILS if I do this on an IPHONE.  Need client to simply click and work without installing s/w on phone or re-configuring phone.

Is there anything I can do in FM to insure the connection please?

In the FM Extended Privileges, I have checked  the newest option, preventing AppleScript and ActiveX invasions.

Also, I'm using the FM certificate that comes with the free development server; could that be a problem?

Thnx

jg

• 3. Re: WEB Direct and iPhone Browser (Can't connect to server)
              TSPigeon

JohnGagne:

Thank you for your response!

Again, when I click on a link in an e-mail message; the FM-15-WebD file opens PERFECTLY through Firefox on a laptop.  Clicking on the same link in the same e-mail FAILS if I do this on an IPHONE.  Need client to simply click and work without installing s/w on phone or re-configuring phone.

-Where is FileMaker Server installed?

-Is the laptop on the same network as the FileMaker Server?

-Is the iPhone on the same network as the FileMaker Server?

-Are you using 4G/LTE data rather than a Home/Office Network?

Generally speaking, if you can access WebDirect from a Computer, you should be able to access from a Mobile Browser as well. WebDirect itself is working.

The Standard SSL being enabled shouldn't cause a connection fail.

I look forward to your response!

TSPigeon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: WEB Direct and iPhone Browser (Can't connect to server)
                JohnGagne

I have to go back to the drawing board.

Firefox was on same computer as server.  Someone just told me that in such a case, connection would be made even if WEBD file was not being shared over the network (wireless).

Just tried to connect from another laptop by clicking on the same embedded link on that computer, and the CONNECTION FAILED.

So, I have to figure out why.

Thanks.

Sorry for the trouble.

I'll let you know how it goes.

jg

• 5. Re: WEB Direct and iPhone Browser (Can't connect to server)
                  JohnGagne

All set.  Thank you.

Combination of errors.

Learning that browser on same computer that is host is not a reliable way to test.  Deceived me into thinking that part was working.

Had to go back and review settings to get them correct.

Unrelated oddity: clicking on link in e-mail message was resulting in a different string in URL of browser.  Pasting string in URL for browser resulted in success.

Thank you TSPigeon for your great advice.

All set.

jg