AnsweredAssumed Answered

How to review all (global) variables in a file

Question asked by ryan@onf.coop on May 24, 2016
Latest reply on May 24, 2016 by ryan@onf.coop

Hey there!

This is my first post within this community, so I apologize if this topic has been covered elsewhere.  I hope I can ask this in a cohesive manner, but, due to my fragmented knowledge, this could become a bit rambly.

I am new to Filemaker (just cutting my teeth on FMP; don't have Advanced yet and am not sure if I need it), and am just starting to dig into scripts / triggers.  When reviewing one of the starter solutions, Assets, I notice that they provide a method for sorting the list view.  When I try to replicate this within my solution (basically I copy-pasted the code), it fails to function, even if I try to locally define one of the variables that seems like it's being called from somewhere else (maybe?).  I think this is happening due to some global variables working behind the scenes that I do not have defined.  I can't find any way to review, in one place, what all variables have been defined within the file, and where they're being used. 

I'm not too concerned about figuring out how to do this specific thing, since I'm guessing it's just a matter of time and research before I understand it.  However, having a way to see every variable in use seems like it would be useful.  Or is there perhaps a better way to determine what various scripts are doing, and what variables they call / increment? 

I hope that at least makes a little sense.  Thanks so much for any insight!

~Ryan

Outcomes