4 Replies Latest reply on May 26, 2016 12:09 PM by BruceRobertson

Individual data fields

charliedavis

Hi,

I have created a make shift table by lining up various data fields. My first question is ... Is there a way to create a table of fields?

On one of the columns I would like each field to display the same drop down menu. I have done this - however when I input data all the fields change to the same answer... I would like each field to be able to display a different text from the drop down menu. The only way I know how to do this is to make a different data field for each field of the table but this is very time consuming. Is there a better way to do this? any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Charlie

• 1. Re: Individual data fields
          TSPigeon

charliedavis:

Thank you for your post!

It sounds like you have multiple instances of the same field on your layout. Would are able to have multiple different fields on a layout and have them all use the same Value List as a Dropdown Menu, if that is what you are speculating.

I am going to move this thread from the FileMaker Community Feedback Space, which is specifically for input on the Community itself, to the Discussions Space where you should receive more views and potentially more advice!

TSPigeon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Individual data fields
            coherentkris

if you have differing data elements the only way to keep them separate is to put them in different fields.

If you have a single data element and want to store different values you need to create new records in the table.

if you need your data to look like a spreadsheet then use table view.

Sounds like you may want to pick up the FileMaker Training series and work through all of the lessons.

• 3. Re: Individual data fields
              US

Have you tried to use the field with repetition number?

When define field,  go to Storage tab, you can give a repetition number of this field.

To display field with repetition, go to Data tab in Inspector, choose repetition scope to show from the layout.

Example: If there are 10 injection type need to be defined in database and you don't want to make 10 fields,

just create one field "injection type" with repetition number 10; you will be able to fill 10 different type from the same drop down menu for this one repetition field.

There are some difference between a regular field and field with repetition, just try to see if it helps.

repetition.tiff

• 4. Re: Individual data fields
                BruceRobertson

This is very confusing request.

A different field for every field? What?

Almost always, "field A, field B" problem descriptions don't work.

Please try to describe in real-world terms what this is about (products? Monthly sales? scheduling?), possibly including screenshot or spreadsheet or hand-drawn mockup.