1 Reply Latest reply on May 25, 2016 2:39 PM by Mike_Mitchell

Multiple Join Tables

DanHarris

I'm a bit stuck here, hoping for some help.  My current solution has two main subjects, Organizations & Contacts.  I've created a join table between them to take care of the possible many-to-many relationship.  But, I've also created an Addresses, and a Phone Numbers table that need to be related to these main subjects. These relationships will be many-to-many as well (a phone number could belong to many Contacts and/or Organizations as could an address).

I'm having trouble wrapping my head around the ERD for this database, as well as the correct table structure within FM.  Will I need multiple TOs of these main subjects?

• 1. Re: Multiple Join Tables
          Mike_Mitchell

DanHarris wrote:

I'm having trouble wrapping my head around the ERD for this database, as well as the correct table structure within FM. Will I need multiple TOs of these main subjects?

In all likelihood, yes. The primary reason is no closed loops are permitted on the Relationships Graph. That means you can't have two join tables between any two given tables, because that would create a loop.

So you would create the join tables as normal, but use different TOs to attach them to the parent tables.

HTH

Mike