4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 3, 2016 1:02 PM by TSGal

F1 opens two help windows

hschlossberg

From within the Scripting Workspace window, click F1 to open help.

Issue #1 (the bug): two browser help tabs open (Chrome on Windows 7, from FMPA 15, 64-bit); one of the tabs is the help Home page and the other is the "Creating and editing scripts" page.

Issue #2 (I claim a "bug", though you'll claim "feature request"): if I have a particular script step selected and I hit F1, I expect it to open help on the respective step's page (i.e. if Sort Records is selected, then it should take me directly to the Sort Records help page).  Especially if I hit F1 from within the modal Sort Records popup window, there should be no question that I want help on Sort Records.

Issue #3 (minor frustration): These two new tabs open even if I already have the same two tabs open; FM should target a particular window/tab name so that it doesn't open new tabs every time I need help.

Issue #4 (another minor frustration): the web interface for 'help' is nice because FMI can (theoretically) keep things up to date when mistakes arise.  But it takes much longer for a web browser window to open and go to the right page then it did previously with the Windows help module.  And there are no keyboard shortcuts to the search field -- which is always needed because of issue #2 above.

Issue #5 (a legitimate feature request expressed as a rant): see how on the left side of the Help screen FMI makes use of a great data organization/presentation tool called a hierarchical menu/list.  Let's note how long that has been a standard in the web and data world, pretty much everywhere except in FileMaker...where it can be replicated by a talented developer with a LOT of work, but it should just be a standard UI object.

Howard

• 1. Re: F1 opens two help windows
          TSGal

hschlossberg:

Thank you for your post.

Issue #1 - I cannot replicate.  I am using FileMaker Pro Advanced 15.0.1 under Windows 7 and Chrome 51.  When I click F1 to open Help, I only get "Creating and editing scripts" page.  I do not get the Help home page.  Changing default browser to Internet Explorer 11, I also only get the "Creating and editing scripts" page.

Issue #2 - This is not part of the current design.  Once you select a command and the Description appears at the bottom of that pane, you must click the "?" to activate Help for that command.  As an enhancement, if F1 is not possible to activate the "?" icon, would F2 be acceptable?  Or another keystroke/function key?

Issue #3 - I can replicate a new tab appearing when accessing Help (in both Chrome 51 and Internet Explorer 11), even when a tab with the same window/tab name exists.  I have sent this information to our Development and Testing departments for review.  When I receive any feedback, I will let you know.

Issue #4 - Two parts - The Help in FileMaker Pro 14 could take a long time to load initially.  However, once loaded, it was responsive.  On my system, both Chrome and Internet Explorer don't take nearly as long to initially load as it did for Help in 14, but I do see access to the Help pages can be slower with slow network access under FileMaker Pro 15.  The second part, there are no keyboard shortcuts to either search field (left pane and right pane).  What keyboard shortcut would you like to see applied to the left and right pane search boxes?

Issue #5 - As you said, this is "a legitimate feature request".  Please be sure to post this to the Product Ideas board at:

Product Ideas

The "Product Ideas" board is monitored by Product Management and Development.  All entries are read, discussed and considered for possible implementation in a future release.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: F1 opens two help windows
            hschlossberg

Issue #1: Interestingly, if I use my mouse to select Help from the scripting window's Help menu, it only opens one help tab in the browser.  It also seems to be file dependent.  The one I discovered the problem on is a remotely hosted file that I cannot share with you.  And then I tried another remotely hosted file (no problems) and a few other local files (most with no problems) until I hit on a local file that DOES produce two help tabs.  I am sending that privately to TSGal.  Warning: When testing, be sure the "problem" file is the only one open.  If I open a second, non-problem file, the original problem file's script window no longer causes the problem.

Issue #2: I didn't even have the right panel open in my testing.  I was selecting the Sort Records step within my script ("center" pane).  I'm not a big fan of FX function keys.  F1 is fine because it is an OS standard, but F2 is not.  I'd prefer CTRL-H or something for such help.  And if CTRL-H were made to work throughout FMP, then users wouldn't have to try F1 every time before trying F2 or CTRL-H.

Issue #4: Part 1: If Chrome is already open, then the help page loads pretty quickly.  My complaint is that browser-based help relies on the browser already being open.  If not, then Chrome can take up to 5 seconds to open, which perhaps is my fault for using Chrome or for having a few extensions installed on it.  Thus the time to open Help in 15 makes opening of Script Workspace seem quick by comparison.

Part 2: I was referring to the Search field within the web help window.  Since Help doesn't usually open to a specific enough topic, I find myself ALWAYS using that search field.  As for the search fields in the left and right panes of Script Workspace, CTRL-F would seem to make sense for the left pane.  I don't care about the right pane, as I never have it open. ;-)  Thinking ahead, I'd say to use CTRL-SHFT-F for the left pane and reserve regular CTRL-F for when the center pane has a search (keyword highlighting), which would have been nice in 14, should have been certain in 15, and hell hath no fury if it's not in 16.

Thanks...

Howard

• 3. Re: F1 opens two help windows
              TSGal

hschlossberg:

I received your file.  Thank you.

I am able to reproduce the issue.  Two browser windows open; one with Help, the other with "Creating and editing scripts."  I have sent this file to Development and Testing for review.  When I receive any feedback, I will let you know.

Thanks for clarification of "Issue #2".  I have submitted this as a feature request, and I also recommend you do the same on the Product Ideas board.

Issue #4 - Part 2 - Thanks again for the clarification.  I have submitted a request for a keyboard shortcut in the browser window.  Currently, under Chrome (Windows), it takes five tabs to access the search box.  For Internet Explorer, I had varied results between five and seven tabs.  For Safari (Mac), one tab activates the search box.

I have submitted a feature request, and again, I recommend you post this to the Product Ideas board.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: F1 opens two help windows
                TSGal

hschlossberg:

Our Development and Testing departments are aware of the issue with two browser windows open when activating Help via F1 key.  Your post has been attached to the original report.  When more information becomes available, I will let you know.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.