8 Replies Latest reply on Jun 2, 2016 3:04 PM by Extensitech

Runtime Solution

canoevalley

If I host a solution on FileMaker server 14, would I be able to access the information remotely from a runtime version of that solution?

• 1. Re: Runtime Solution
          vincedubeau

Sorry, but runtimes are completely standalone. They have no ability to connect to FM server.

• 2. Re: Runtime Solution
            canoevalley

Bummer.

Thanks for your reply

• 3. Re: Runtime Solution
              beverly

possibly these help (version 14 & 15):

Differences between the runtime application and FileMaker Pro (FileMaker Pro Advanced)

beverly

• 4. Re: Runtime Solution
                richardsrussell

Don't view this as a bummer, view it as an advantage. There are plenty of times when you either can't or don't want to require a remote connection for your solution to work properly on a stand-alone computer — a limited-function demo file, for instance — and a runtime is ideal for that, since it doesn't require the user to buy an entire copy of the FileMaker Pro program.

But, for instances where you do want remote connectivity to a server — the traveling-salesperson scenario, for instance — FIleMaker provides a method for doing that via a simple web browser. Again, no copy of the FileMaker program required at the user end. No, it's not specifically a runtime solution, but it gets the job done, and isn't that really what you're after?

Really, given that FileMaker Inc. doesn't make any money off of selling copies of their program to end users in either case, we should be damn grateful that they've given us these capabilities. It's the sort of thing you'd expect from a non-profit do-gooder foundation, not a commercial enterprise.

• 5. Re: Runtime Solution
                  canoevalley

Thanks for your reply.

My client want's their store managers to be able to use WebDirect, log in and print a sales brochure. This cannot be accomplished without setting up a Robot on the server side but I do not have the skills to set this up. They are on a tight budget and do not want to shell out the cash for full versions to be installed at each location. That's why I was hoping a Runtime would do the trick.

• 6. Re: Runtime Solution
                    thebridge

Hi Richard,

Regarding your comment:
                    "Really, given that FileMaker Inc. doesn't make any money off of selling copies of their program to end users in either case, we should be damn grateful that they've given us these capabilities. It's the sort of thing you'd expect from a non-profit do-gooder foundation, not a commercial enterprise."

Just adding a different perspective. The runtime component that is built into FileMaker Advance was one of Filemaker's major justifications for charging more for Filemaker Developer/Filemaker Advanced.

It has been the major reason that many have paid the additional money for Filemaker Developer/Filemaker Advanced since version 3.

Little by Little, Filemaker has sought to diminish the importance of the Runtime Component by neglecting development of its feature set it and not fixing its bugs.

The premise that Filemaker is NOT making any money from it is a matter of perspective.

Respectfully,
                    Robert Bloomfield

• 7. Re: Runtime Solution
                      TKnTexas

While a runtime cannot connect to a server, it can update via import. 

• 8. Re: Runtime Solution
                        Extensitech

I think you've gotten your answer, unwelcome as it might be.

However, as an aside, I'm currently wrapping up a project using runtimes, where a user at the home office will use a script to export "base" data (reference data like prices) to a web-accessible folder. The runtimes will run an update script that downloads the smallest xml file (from a single-record "system" table), compare the published data version to the current data version, and if the runtime's not current, it'll import the other xml files from the http address.

It's not a live connection, and not a two-way synch, but for this project, and another I did years ago, the standalone runtimes only need particular "base" tables updated periodically, so it works well.

This case study is the tentative topic for our virtual (online) fmpug meeting in July. See our fmpug page here: FMPUG | Extensitech . Contact me back-channel if you'd like to attend this or other upcoming meetings, and/or get on our mailing list. It's an open invitation, and free.

HTH

Chris Cain

Extensitech