1 2 Previous Next 23 Replies Latest reply on May 27, 2016 6:49 AM by Stigge

DB solution with multible users - Possible ?

Stigge

Hi

I have a small solution for my IT Team.. A Admin password storage database.

passwords to our servers etc. for common use.

Tables:

Main - only global fields

Passwords - Keeps all the records

Log - Log all changes made.

in the Main table everything is viewed. so i use a couple of global fields to store information that makes changes, extra password checks etc..

Am guessing am painting myself in a corner by doing this, since it seems we cant login more then 1 person at the time.

Is there anyway around this ?

I have another issue aswell, i created 2 accounts in the security tab for this database. but somehow the others got get asked for login information.

I might have filled in my login information in File->Fileoptions.. how do i remove that ?

Thank you ! =)

• 1. Re: DB solution with multible users - Possible ?
          bigtom

You can simply remove your info in File>File Options

What is your deployment and how are you connecting? You should have no issue with multiple users if everything is setup properly.

• 2. Re: DB solution with multible users - Possible ?
            Stigge

thank you, removing the login checkbox helped.. =) so that one is solved. =)

We are setup that all are using FM Pro 15 Clients on Windows. we are running a FM 14 Server (just been to lazy to upgrade it to 15)..

Am constant getting the message when someone else is inside:

It must have something to do with that we dont have any records at the Main Table (thats the only one we work in).

i have created a "Dummy" record, so we dont get the error popups when clicking inside a field..

• 3. Re: DB solution with multible users - Possible ?
              Stigge

An option for solution.?.

Is this possible:

When a user login a script starts so it automaticly creates a ghost record. and then make it remember that record ID. so he/she always stays at that record.. that way we can use multible users ? or am i thinking wrong here ?? =D

Answered by myself after using google =D

Another question i have that follows the original question.. what happends with Global fields with multible users.

Lets say:

i use a global field that i only use 2 values in.. True or False.  This fields sets if a user is authorized to view the password or not. (showing and hiding bullet field and original password field)..

User 1 is authorized threw script process, does that then give User 2 the same access ? or are the global fields "personal" ??

• 4. Re: DB solution with multible users - Possible ?
                bigtom

Global fields are specific to a user session. Each user can have different global values.

Have you considered global variables instead?

It seems you are running into a record lock issue. What is the exact error you are getting?

• 5. Re: DB solution with multible users - Possible ?
                  Stigge

Pasted above.. but here it is again..

• 6. Re: DB solution with multible users - Possible ?
                    carlsson

You are probably using one record, where you store the global variables. As long as it's the same record, it doesn't matter if the fields are global or not. No more than one user can edit the same record at the same time.

It's a good idea to have a user table, and one record for each user where the changes are made.

HTH

• 7. Re: DB solution with multible users - Possible ?
                      GaryTate

Yes, you will come across this with multi-user systems, I have a couple of clients who have people that leave their cursor in a field and then go to lunch which locks that record so nobody else can use it… it also stops anyone making any development changes to the field definitions (grrrr :-)

There are ways to code around this but they would be far too much effort.

So, make sure you have 1 record for each set of logon information. Your use of globals is also potentially not the correct way to be doing things, of course I could be wrong without seeing the solution but they probably aren't necessary.

• 8. Re: DB solution with multible users - Possible ?
                        ChrisG

It looks like people are recommending something known as the session model.

I would do it something like this:

Tables:

User

Main

Passwords

Log

When you log in, a logon script will find your user record and grab your unique user ID. The script will then go to your main table and search for your user ID. If a main record with your user ID does not exist, it will create one. This means each user gets their own record. On your main record layout you could have a portal allowing you to see all the password records. Maybe you would like to filter this portal by category i.e. server, desktop, laptop, iPad, phone etc. That's if you have a lot of passwords you need to store.

Once you have found what you're looking for in the portal, click on it and a script will copy the data from the password record into the fields on your main layout. You can now view and edit the data without any of the record locking problems.

If you have edited the data, you will need to "save" it back to your password record. You will need a relationship to the password record which was established when you clicked on it to view it in your main layout. Your save script will write the new data to your existing password record. The same save script should also create a log record. This way if there is any doubt about a password, the individual log records can be checked.

To create a new record, a script would have to clear the fields on the main layout allowing you to enter new data. The save script will create a new password record because there is no relationship to an existing password record. It will also create a log record.

When you log out, a logout script will delete your session record and close the DB.

I hope this helps or maybe just gives you some ideas.

• 9. Re: DB solution with multible users - Possible ?
                          Stigge

Thank you for that..

I think i need to follow your suggestion.. and add the "User" table. wasnt planing this at start to only use a "common" account from the "security" tab that all the users are using.. but i think i need to rethink this.

• 10. Re: DB solution with multible users - Possible ?
                            Mike_Mitchell

carlsson wrote:

You are probably using one record, where you store the global variables. As long as it's the same record, it doesn't matter if the fields are global or not. No more than one user can edit the same record at the same time.

Unless there are only global fields. If there's a single field with non-global storage, then the record will lock. But if every field in the table is global, then the record won't lock. (See: Selector-Connector.)

• 11. Re: DB solution with multible users - Possible ?
                              Stigge

HI Mike..

Are you sure about that ?? becouse i have ONLY global fields, and am getting the error.

• 12. Re: DB solution with multible users - Possible ?
                                Mike_Mitchell

Shouldn't be. I use this all the time. What else is there? Any relationships? From what context are you editing.

• 13. Re: DB solution with multible users - Possible ?
                                  Stigge

In the "Main" table all are Global Fields.

I have relations to the "Passwords" table, record ID as key.

All fields am working in is all from the "Main" table, and on exit run a script to log changes and set the new value in the "Password" table.

Have a Portal from the Password table.. but that shouldnt effect this ?

The Main Table:

The relationships:

1 2 Previous Next