5 Replies Latest reply on May 26, 2016 3:25 PM by erolst

Why doesn't a child table created in the Relationships graph appear anywhere?

wblueg

Trying to establish a child relationship with a parent in the manage database relationships graph.  It appears in the Tables view and The fields appear in the Fields view but i can't get to the table to establish a layout.  I can't find any help in the 'help' or 'guide' documentation.  Lots of gaps in both that are not covered in either.

• 1. Re: Why doesn't a child table created in the Relationships graph appear anywhere?
          RickWhitelaw

Create a new layout. Under Layout Setup choose the table under Show Records From . . .

• 2. Re: Why doesn't a child table created in the Relationships graph appear anywhere?
            erolst

wblueg wrote:

I can't find any help in the 'help' or 'guide' documentation. Lots of gaps in both that are not covered in either.

I find the organization of the Help system a bit odd (no index!), though I think that has improved with v15 – but I was always able to find the information eventually, so I'm not sure why you think there are gaps.

wblueg wrote:

Why doesn't a child table created in the Relationships graph appear anywhere? […] i can't get to the table to establish a layout.

After you created this …

Screen Shot 2016-05-26 at 23.44.49.png

there are many places where you can (and must) see the names of tables occurrences, since every data access must be via a table occurrence:

Create a new layout and base it (Show records from) the Child table occurrence:

Screen Shot 2016-05-26 at 23.50.13.png

Or place a portal into Child on a layout based on Parent:

Screen Shot 2016-05-26 at 23.46.08.png

• 3. Re: Why doesn't a child table created in the Relationships graph appear anywhere?
              wblueg

Thanks for the quick response Rick.  My problem is that the new child table dosn't appear to exist anywhere except in the "manage" box.  How do you do anything with it if you can't access it?

• 4. Re: Why doesn't a child table created in the Relationships graph appear anywhere?
                wblueg

Thanks to you too Eroist,  i appreciate any and all response.  Am I correct in thinking that the portal for reading the parent data resides in the child layout?  Since the child table does not reside anywhere how do I create a layout.  I do know how to search for files and this file aint nowhere to be found.  It only appears in the parent database mange graph.

Stay with me Eroist, i need help.

• 5. Re: Why doesn't a child table created in the Relationships graph appear anywhere?
                  erolst

You need to understand the following:

Table --< Table Occurrence --< Layout

where: one --< many

So, as soon as you create a table, you will find an initial Table Occurrence (TO) in the Relations Graph. It is not related to any other table. You can create as many TOs of one table as you like (see above), and use them to create relationships (by connecting them to other TOs).

When you create a layout (see my screenshot in the other post), you need to select the table occurrence it should be based on. This is one of many places where you see those TOs.

Do this:

• go to Layout mode (View menu, or press cmd/ctrl-L)

• press cmd/ctrl-N (or select menu Layout -> New)

• in the dialog, you can choose from all existing table occurrences to base your layout on

wblueg wrote:

Am I correct in thinking that the portal for reading the parent data resides in the child layout?

Well, it would, if you would need one.

The idea behind a Parent->Child relationship is that it is one-to-many; so a parent would need a portal to show its potentially many children (this is what you can see on my screenshot), but every children only has one parent, in which case you can simply show the related field.

But I think your first step would be to create a layout based on the desired TO … and maybe dig into that documentation again? I think it has a great introductory section to give you (more of) the basics.