3 Replies Latest reply on May 27, 2016 6:32 AM by Stigge

To simple question - Editing Drop-Down list field.

Stigge

Hi

This is probebly really simple.. but am trying to find a option to prevent editing of the values in a Drop-down list.

Its a Category field, and i want the users to only choose the already pre-designed categories without beeing able to type in the field.

Is there a option for that ??

When i googled it i only found an version 8.5 solution.. but that options isnt avaliable in version 15 :/

• 1. Re: To simple question - Editing Drop-Down list field.
          steveromig

Hi

This is probebly really simple.. but am trying to find a option to prevent editing of the values in a Drop-down list.

Its a Category field, and i want the users to only choose the already pre-designed categories without beeing able to type in the field.

Is there a option for that ??

When i googled it i only found an version 8.5 solution.. but that options isnt avaliable in version 15 :/

Several different ways to do this.  One of the easiest is to modify your Category field to only allow valid entries based on the value list you have assigned to your Category field.  They would still be able to type in a another value but when tabbing out of the field they will be prompted with a message (a default one or one of your own design) saying that that is not a valid entry.

You could also change the field from a drop down list to a Pop Up menu which provides similar functionality but does not allow entry of "other" values.

An OnObjectExit script trigger could probably be used to some degree as well.

What was the solution you found in 8.5 that no longer works in 15? 

Steve Romig

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: To simple question - Editing Drop-Down list field.
            BruceHerbach

If you use a Pop up menu instead of a drop down list,  and make sure the option for Allow entry of other values is not checked,  your users will only be able to select from the menu.

HTH

• 3. Re: To simple question - Editing Drop-Down list field.
              Stigge

that was the reply he got who had the same question as me..