5 Replies Latest reply on May 27, 2016 3:45 PM by erolst

Calculating a Category Variable for Groups of Records

jjgarner

Hello everybody,

I am trying to improve a database so that FileMaker identifies "Family Type" for each person in each family in our database.

The database looks like this:

person_IDfamily_IDgenetic_ID
      11None
      21Genetic Disorder A
      31None
      42None
      52Genetic Disorder B
      63None
      73None
      83Genetic Disorder C
      93None
      104None

In English, I want my FileMaker calculation to basically do:

"For each group of records with the same family_ID value, output the Genetic Disorder type (A,B, C, etc) if there is one; otherwise, output "Typical Family"

I was thinking of doing a "for loop" strategy but I wanted to see if anyone in the community had a better idea or any tips - I am not sure how to code this!

Thanks in advance!

• 1. Re: Calculating a Category Variable for Groups of Records
          beverly

Would/could there be more than one "genetic_ID" per family, or is it just one or none?

beverly

• 2. Re: Calculating a Category Variable for Groups of Records
            jjgarner

There can be more than one genetic_ID per family - I have seen cases of parents adopting multiple kids, one with disorder A, one with disorder B, etc.

Therefore I guess I would want the "Family_Type" output to be "Condition A + B" or something.

Or, There could be multiple True or False fields for each genetic condition:  "Does this Family have a member with Condition A?"  "Does this Family have a member with Condition B?" and so on.

Thanks for your help Beverly!

• 3. Re: Calculating a Category Variable for Groups of Records
              erolst

Is genetic_ID an ID that refers to a Disorder table, or just a string?

• 4. Re: Calculating a Category Variable for Groups of Records
                jjgarner

We have a drop-down value list, that contains custom values and I think they are all strings - "None", "Disorder A", "Disorder B" etc.

• 5. Re: Calculating a Category Variable for Groups of Records
                  erolst

Well, you could try the following:

• create a calculation field, type text, unstored, in the Family table

then use either

• ExecuteSQL():

Let (

disorderList =

ExecuteSQL ( "

SELECT DISTINCT ( disorder )

FROM Person

WHERE

Lower ( disorder ) <> ? AND

id_family = ?

" ; "" ; ", " ; "none" ; id

) ;

Case (

IsEmpty ( disorderList ) ;

"Typical Family" ;

Substitute ( disorderList ; "Disorder " ; "" )

)

)

• or a “native” method – which due to the potential for performance problems would be preferable, except that you need some calisthenics to get rid of duplicate values:

Let ( [

disorderList = List ( Person::disorder ) ;

disorderChoices = ValueListItems ( "" ; "Disorders" ) ; // name of your value list

disorderChoicesWithoutNone = Substitute ( disorderChoices ; [ "none¶" ; "" ] ; [ "¶none" ; "" ] ) ; // case-sensitive!

isTypical = ValueCount ( FilterValues ( disorderList ; "none" ) ) = ValueCount ( disorderList ) ; // all "none"

resultList = FilterValues ( disorderChoicesWithoutNone ; disorderList ) ; // de-duped

resultList = Case ( Right ( resultList ; 1 ) = ¶ ; Left ( resultList ; Length ( resultList ) - 1 ) ; resultList ) ; // remove any trailing ¶

result =

Case (

isTypical ;

"Typical Family" ;

Substitute ( resultList ; [ "Disorder " ; "" ] ; [ ¶ ; ", " ] ) // first sub gets rid of generic specifier; unnecessary for proper names

)

] ;

result

)

If you have a scripted mechanism for adding and removing persons to/from families, you could add the (simpler) SQL to the script to write the current status into a non-calc field – better performance and simpler calculation!