5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 2, 2016 5:18 PM by AndyE

Multi-Page Page Header in Report?

mercator

Good afternoon,

For one of my reports, I would like to have a 3-page introduction withe text coming form three fields. I would like to have one per page with a page break in-between and put all of them in the Title Header part. I know that the fields will be only 10 lines max each. I cannot use text fields of a specific size as the report must print on A4 as well as letter paper. Is there a way to force a page break in the Title Header Part?

Thanks a lot

Mercator

• 1. Re: Multi-Page Page Header in Report?
          rgordon

Title headers are designed to print at the top of the title page, not span multiple pages. You could use a leading grand summary which could span multi pages. You might need to create one layout for a4 and another for letter.

• 2. Re: Multi-Page Page Header in Report?
            siplus

mercator wrote:

For one of my reports, I would like to have a 3-page introduction withe text coming form three fields. I would like to have one per page with a page break in-between

You could have a separate table, with 1 text field and 3 records, containing your texts.

When printing you switch to a layout based upon that table, print all records, then go back to your other table and print the rest.

• 3. Re: Multi-Page Page Header in Report?
              keywords

I think my approach to this would be to treat the introduction as a separate report on its own layout, and script its printing as needed.

• 4. Re: Multi-Page Page Header in Report?
                rgordon

I agree this would be the best way to do this unless you need to preview the complete report or you need to create a PDF of the report with FMGO.

• 5. Re: Multi-Page Page Header in Report?
                  AndyE

A simpler approach that should achieve what you want would be to have three sub-summaries with a page break after every occurrence as the first elements on the report. You would need to create three extra sort fields. These fields can be set to auto-enter data as 1 when you create a new record so they're identical for all records. They shouldn't weigh down the database at all.

So the first Sub-Summary part would be sorted by the first sort field. The second Sub-Summary part sorted by the second sort field and the third sorted by the third sort field. This can all be scripted as per the attached file so it's unnoticeable to the user what is happening.

The Sub-Summary parts on the layout can be sized to fit within the bounds of either an A4 or Letter size paper and will add the page break if you tick that option in the Part Definition dialog.

See the attached sample file anyway. Hopefully it's fairly self explanatory.