10 Replies Latest reply on May 30, 2016 10:20 AM by electon

sql developer

larryw

I'm trying to connect to FM14 advanced via JDBC using Oracle Sql Developer. I'm running on OS X El Capitan.

The FM database, called ORNAMembershipV5, is running under FM14, the ODBC/JDBC drivers have been installed. JDBC is enabled, and the fmxdbc_listener is waiting patiently. Through Sql Developer I'm attempting to establish a connection using the jdbc URL

jdbc:filemaker://10.0.1.6/ORNAMembershipV5

for which ORNAMembershipV5 is the name the FM Sharing form indicates, and on which "All Users" radio button is marked. The IP address indicated above the NAT IP address of the computer on which both the Filemaker application and database file, and the Sql Developer application is running.

I've attempted to connect and test the connection from Sql Developer, using the FM user 'Admin', which has no password, and user 'wkr' which does have a password and has read access, and has authority to connect via ODBC/JDBC. Sql Developer notes failure to make connection to FM and this FM application.

Please suggest what I need to do to successfully connect.

• 1. Re: sql developer
          electon

Have you configured ODBC / JDBC sharing in the file?

Same for extended privilege sets assigned to the accounts?

• 2. Re: sql developer
            larryw

I certainly believe jdbc is activated for both FM and each user.

Under Menu item File/Sharing, ODBC/JDBC sharing is ON and for File: "ORNAMembershipV5", "All User" radio button ON.

Under Menu item File/Manage/Security, user 'wkr' is active, and Authenticate via Local Filemaker File, Privilege Set [Full Access], where [Full Access] has the Extended Privileges of Access via ODBC/JDBC, Access via Filemaker Network, and Require re-authentication ... checked.

I've recently tried to determine if the jdbc URL needs to have port 2399 explicitly mentioned somewhere. I've tried /10.0.1.6:2399/ but that didn't work either.

• 3. Re: sql developer
              electon

I don't think Oracle SQL Developer supports the FileMaker JDBC driver.

So the problem might lay there.

• 4. Re: sql developer
                larryw

No, That is almost not the answer. If you have the .jar file for a database's jdbc driver, a simple piece of gemeral Java code will be able to open a connection to it.

The problem seems to be with Oracle's SQL Developer application: its connection dialog box does not have an option to enter the class name of the driver and the jdbc URL.

I.e., its

• 5. Re: sql developer
                  electon

That's what I meant.

It's not supported.

You will still be able to connect from an application you write code for.

Sent from my iPhone

• 6. Re: sql developer
                    erolst

larryw wrote:

That is almost not the answer.

So it still is the answer …?

• 7. Re: sql developer
                      larryw

It is not the answer. Let me be specific.

Oracle SQL Developer is a GUI application written in Java. The current version is 4.1.3.x.x. Since it is written in Java, and JDBC is directly supported within Java libraries, the fact that I cannot get this version of SD to attach to a JDBC source is a bug or configuration issue -- quite different from it not being "supported".

Previous versions of SD did have connection dialogs to attach to JDBC sources -- all one needs is the JDBC driver, in a .jar file written for the particular database (which in this case, Filemaker has created and which would be available to SD).

In fact, the documentation for SD 4.1 documents that the connection dialog has a common part, where one enters the user-friendly name of the connection, and the name and password to log into the source database. A secondary part is documented to be broken into 9 different attachment protocols which they support.

1) attachment to an Oracle database

2) attachment to a DB2 database

3) attachment to a MYSQL database

4) attachment to a SQL Server and Sybase database

5) attachment to a TimesTen database

6) attachment to a PostgreSQL database

7) attachment to a Hive database

8) attachment to a Teradata database

9) attachment to *any* JDBC database

These 9 special attachment dialogs are presented in the common connection dialog window as separate tabs. So, from the documentation, it is clear that SD 4.1 does in fact support JDBC attachments.

However, the recently released and downloaded SD 4.1.3 application only shows the Oracle tab, not the other 8 tabs associated with the other database attachment protocols.

So, it is not correct that SD 4.1.3 does not support JDBC connections. It is the case that there are installation or configuration problems for which I have not found solutions -- perhaps Oracle did not build the download file correctly, the .jars for the other protocols are not in the Java path, the .jars need to be downloaded separately,

• 8. Re: sql developer
                        electon

larryw wrote:

So, it is not correct that SD 4.1.3 does not support JDBC connections.

No one said it doesn't support JDBC connections.

What was said is that FileMaker JDBC driver is not supported.

From Oracle website:

SQL Developer supports the following JDBC drivers.

• IBM DB2: You need the binary driver jar files db2jcc.jar and db2jcc_license_cu.jar. Search for DB2 Universal JDBC Drivers or download it here.
                        • Microsoft Access: No additional driver is required. Access uses the JDBC/ODBC bridge
                        • Microsoft SQL Server and Sybase: jTDS driver version 1.2. Download here
                          The binary driver is located within the jtds-1.2-dist.zip. This jar file is called jtds-1.2.jar.
                        • MySQL: MySQL JDBC Driver, version 5.04. Download here.
                          The binary driver is located within the mysql-connector-java-5.0.4.tar.gz (or .zip). The jar file is called mysql-connector-java-5.0.4-bin.jar.
                        • Teradata: Use Teradata JDBC Driver 12.0 or above. Both the Teradata JDBC Driver 12.0 and 13.0 use the jar files terajdbc4.jar and tdgssconfig.jar. Download here.

Once you have extracted the relevant jar file to your disk, you need to configure SQL Developer to tell it where this driver resides.

Configure JDBC Drivers

I don't see FileMaker driver here.

SQL Developer from Oracle is a tool that has many options aside from running SQL queries.

Just because you have a driver doesn't mean you can use it with any DB.

So what is the answer?

• 9. Re: sql developer
                          larryw

Thanks for the clarification.

Though, I think I disagree with "Just because you have a driver doesn't mean you can use it with any DB". I'd say, once a DB vendor gives you a JDBC driver you can use it to access its DB in any way supported by the JDBC driver.

What seems to be the case SD detects that not all the functionality it wants from JDBC was made available by FM's JDBC driver. Or simply that it can't find the FM Driver class or something like that?

Do you know what is missing from the FM JDBC driver that SD wants?

• 10. Re: sql developer
                            electon

larryw wrote:

I'd say, once a DB vendor gives you a JDBC driver you can use it to access its DB in any way supported by the JDBC driver.

This statement is true, with emphasis on you.

Oracle SQL Developer is something different.