4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 1, 2016 9:49 PM by theharrisonlee

Controlling users when they can modify or delete a record

theharrisonlee

I am faced with huge obstacles, when try to come up with a way of controlling when the users can make changes to a record or delete it.

I have read a way regarding setting up two identical layouts, one for input and one for viewing etc.....

But that would be tedious when the file needs alterations in the further, could someone please direct me or suggest some other method to achieve this. 

Many thanks

• 1. Re: Controlling users when they can modify or delete a record
          stephensexton

Can you provide further details about what you are wanting to control?

Have you explored changes to privilege sets (via FILE > MANAGE > SECURITY)?

What determines whether a user should be allowed to edit or delete a record?

Based on your initial question, it is possible that using a popup button may be what you need - i.e. fields are displayed but can't be edited in list or form view or in portal rows, but you can click on a 'details' button which opens a popup containing the same fields that are enabled in browse mode. 

The inspector window has a checkbox that allows you to enable or disable field entry in browse and find mode.

• 2. Re: Controlling users when they can modify or delete a record
            theharrisonlee

Well basically i have a form set up looking like this for data entry,  but once created i don't want other users to be able to modify it.  (But Some users with an authority level high enough will be able to make modifications)

In addition, once the form is created, a couple of signature fields will have to be made available for access so that users will be able to put there signatures in.

However, all users should be able to view the data in this form view.

Screen Shot 2016-05-30 at 4.06.36 PM.png

• 3. Re: Controlling users when they can modify or delete a record
              stephensexton

What about giving privileges to create and edit the relevant record based on a value in a global field?

The global field itself shouldn't be able to be edited by any user (based on their privilege set) unless they have trigged a script that is granted full access privileges... e.g. "Create New Record" is a script that is granted full access privileges and sets the value of the global field to a UUID value (e.g. Get(UUID)).  The script then creates a new record in the relevant table with a UUID value that is equal to the value in the global field.  It is this condition that grants the user the ability to edit that record.... i.e. in their privilege set settings, they can only edit a record in that table if the UUID primary key is equal to the value in the relevant global field.

On closing the window to that form, the relevant global field value is set to empty... so the user is then only able to "View" the data, but not edit.

• 4. Re: Controlling users when they can modify or delete a record
                theharrisonlee

thanks very much for your idea of setting a global field and using it in conjunction with the privilege set, I can now go about solving my problem in the way you suggested and adopting it to my specific problem.  cheers