1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 1, 2016 10:10 AM by DanielShanahan

Tracking inventory confusion

andresen

I have looking around and found several good solutions. But I can't realize them to my problem.

First, I have 3 tables; Order, OrderProduct and Product.

In order I work with the order preparation and I want to track the inventory of the material I use in production. (like paper and Ink) They are not all measure in quantity but also in weight.

How?

I have tried to make a portal in Order and show OrderProduct. But all my material is in Product table.

I think I'm stuck in thinking...

I have taking a look at: https://community.filemaker.com/message/167647?sr=search&searchId=40cea5bd-9a85-4c9c-b244-fa5b5c1f0e8e&searchIndex=1#167647

and

https://community.filemaker.com/message/225831?sr=search&searchId=81dfa585-0c04-442a-bbf4-069c108e62a9&searchIndex=5#225831

They all seems very competent, but for me, I'm having a hard time translate it to my type of use.

Should I change my tables for making this work?

Relation 2.tiff

• 1. Re: Tracking inventory confusion
          DanielShanahan

andresen wrote:

In order I work with the order preparation and I want to track the inventory of the material I use in production. (like paper and Ink) They are not all measure in quantity but also in weight.

It sounds like you are in manufacturing.  If so, each Product should have a category of Raw Materials, Work-In-Progress, Finished Good.  Some also include Labor and Packing Materials in that list.

A related table should exist for Work-In-Progress and Finished Goods.  This is your Bill of Materials (BOM) table.  The BOM should include the amounts (quantity, weight, etc.) to make one unit of the Work-In-Progress or Finished Good.

You'll likely need to convert measurements.  For example, you may buy ink by the gallon but use it by the ounce.  I manage this with data and scripting.  On the data side, I have two tables: Unit of Measure and Unit of Measure Conversion tables (see image).  For example, if I need to convert something from grams to kilograms (the "Start from" portal) or from each to gram (the "End in" portal), I have the data available to perform math.

UofM_Conversion.png

HTH