AnsweredAssumed Answered

Best method to integrate with existing Web Application

Question asked by hampdentech on Jun 1, 2016

I am in the process of evaluating FileMaker as a possible solution for an existing web application. I strongly feel that FileMaker will be the perfect choice, but I need more information and I was hoping members of this forum could provide that.

Our existing web application runs on our own server and is a full-featured accounting and property management system. We presently have an "Inspections" module which, by association, communicates with a native iOS app for the iPad. We use Parse.com for the intermediary data storage and both the web app and the iPad app communicate and connect through Parse.com. Obviously, since Facebook is shutting down Parse.com at the end of the year, we need another solution.

Our environment dictates that a "stand-alone" application be available on a tablet such as an iPad for doing unit inspections and work orders. My hope is that we will be able to develop this in FileMaker and have some type of upload/download feature for moving inspections and work orders to the iPad and then restoring the completed inspections and work orders back to the web application.

We do have SQL server running in our environment, however the instance is private and not accessible outside of the server's firewall. All communication is done through the web application. I am not opposed to having an "import" and "export" to accommodate this, but I'm not sure how this will work.

So to summarize, I need to know if through FileMaker, we can build an app for the iPad which will allow us to download inspection and work order data to the iPad, allow the user to complete the inspections and work orders in the iPad and then somehow, return the updated information back to our web app.

Thank you in advance for any information that you can provide towards this solution!

Outcomes