13 Replies Latest reply on Jun 1, 2016 1:12 PM by DavidJondreau

How do I stop the log in requirement?

louk

I don't want to have to log into this file. All was fine until I checked file options script triggers (OnFirstWindowOpen) to run a script when the file opened. From that point on, even though I have since unchecked it, and nothing at all is checked under Open or Script Triggers, the file wants a log in. A flag has been set somewhere that I don't know how to reset.

How do you get around this? I remember Filemaker doing this years ago and am a bit surprised that it still doesn't seem to have been addressed.

Thanks in advance for any help!

• 1. Re: How do I stop the log in requirement?
          steveromig

Lou Kingman wrote:

I don't want to have to log into this file. All was fine until I checked file options script triggers (OnFirstWindowOpen) to run a script when the file opened. From that point on, even though I have since unchecked it, and nothing at all is checked under Open or Script Triggers, the file wants a log in. A flag has been set somewhere that I don't know how to reset.

How do you get around this? I remember Filemaker doing this years ago and am a bit surprised that it still doesn't seem to have been addressed.

Thanks in advance for any help!

What are your settings for "Log In Using" under File Options? 

That is what controls whether you "auto-login" into a file or not and whether you are prompted to enter in an account name and password.

Steve Romig

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: How do I stop the log in requirement?
            rouelf

Yep, Steve is got it.

Under “File” menu, click “File Options…”, select Log in using Guest Account.

• 3. Re: How do I stop the log in requirement?
              louk

Hi Steve, thanks for the reply.

As I said, nothing at all is checked. When I do check "log in using", Guest Account is grayed out, so I can't do that either.

Why does running a script at open make Filemaker require a log in anyway?

Thanks for the help.

• 4. Re: How do I stop the log in requirement?
                louk

As I said, "Guest Account" is unavailable.

• 5. Re: How do I stop the log in requirement?
                  steveromig

Hi Steve, thanks for the reply.

As I said, nothing at all is checked. When I do check "log in using", Guest Account is grayed out, so I can't do that either.

Why does running a script at open make Filemaker require a log in anyway?

Thanks for the help.

Using a startup script does not require you to log in manually.

If you do not have "Log In Using" checked, then you will be prompted for an account name and password every time you log in.  If you check it, and specify the account name and password you want to log in with, you will not be prompted for your credentials going forward.

The Guest account is grayed out because you do not have it active in FILE > MANAGE > SECURITY

Steve Romig

FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: How do I stop the log in requirement?
                    louk

So I entered a name and password thinking maybe I could then set the Guest password option. The file wouldn't open - said couldn't open with that name and password. I still opened it with "admin".

Not sure I get Filemaker security.

Guest login still unavailable.

• 7. Re: How do I stop the log in requirement?
                      louk

Steve - But it always has done this to me. I remember this happening a few years ago. I never went near the log in using box, but it started requiring a log in after I simply went to a layount on open or ran a script on open.

• 8. Re: How do I stop the log in requirement?
                        steveromig

So I entered a name and password thinking maybe I could then set the Guest password option. The file wouldn't open - said couldn't open with that name and password. I still opened it with "admin".

Not sure I get Filemaker security.

Guest login still unavailable.

You need to re-enabled the Guest account in FILE > MANAGE > SECURITY.  This is where you manage all the account names and passwords that have access to your solution.  You will have at least one "Full Access" account listed there and perhaps others that you might have setup for yourself or others to use.  This is also where you can enable or disable the Guest account if needed.

In File Options for your solution, you enter in one of the valid account names and passwords that you want FileMaker Pro to attempt to use to log into your solution when you open it.

Steve Romig

FileMaker, Inc.

• 9. Re: How do I stop the log in requirement?
                          louk

Also, I've tried a couple of times now to be sure there was no typo ...

The file will not open with the name and password I enter, either. Only with "admin".

• 10. Re: How do I stop the log in requirement?
                            louk

So my secondary question is: why can I not establish a name and password? No matter what I enter the file refuses it. Only "admin" alone works.

I've tried this in 12 & 14.

• 11. Re: How do I stop the log in requirement?
                              DavidJondreau

There's a few things that could be going on...

You may have inadvertently changed some options. Either in File Options... or Manage Security. You may have upgraded to a new version of Filemaker which handles "saving" passwords differently than the old version. You may have linked to a different file, and it is that file that is asking for permission.

Running a script at open does not, in and of itself, trigger a login box. Unless that script contains the Re-login script! Or references a different file.

• 12. Re: How do I stop the log in requirement?
                                louk

David - thanks.

I forgot about "Detailed Setup". You have to go through Detailed setup and check the Guest account before you can select it in File Options.

It remains that I can no longer get away from the log in dialog and have to check "Guest". I don't want the dialog at all, the way it was before I chose a script trigger.

• 13. Re: How do I stop the log in requirement?
                                  DavidJondreau

Let me be more specific...

What version of FileMaker are you using, including the "update"? FM14 v5, FM 12v2, etc

What OS are you using? OS X 10.10.5? Windows 10.1? etc

Is this file hosted or are you accessing locally? If hosted, is it being hosted with FM Server?

Under File Options...

is "Log In using..." checked? If so, what is entered?

is "Allow Keychain Access" checked?

is "Switch to layout" checked? If so, what is the layout?

on the Script Triggers panel, is OnFirstWindowOpen checked? If so, what is the Script name?

Under Manage-->External Data Sources

Are there any files listed? If so, what are their names?

Under Manage-->Security

Does the account name "admin" have a password?

Is the "Guest" account's "Active" box checked ?