2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 1, 2016 5:59 AM by jerrysalem

Customer/Client portal

golfdog

I'll say up front that this might be a question for the FileMaker sales team, but here goes.

I'm working on a solution that requires a customer to provide digital assets in order for the company to provide the purchased service.  The company also needs to provide to the customer a digital asset that serves as performance documentation.

Right now it seems having container fields on the related production planning line item record, and exposing that on a WebDirect layout would allow for this two way transfer.  However, that means an account for every client. 

How have folks done this in the past?  Does the new licensing setup make this easier or harder?  Recommendations?

Jeff

• 1. Re: Customer/Client portal
          mikebeargie

Custom web publishing would allow for you to do this as well, without far less licensing restrictions than WebDirect has.

Since your front-facing web does not really need the full "filemaker experience", just a place to upload files, WebDirect may not be the right choice.

However, using CWP does come with additional development needs (mainly, knowing PHP well enough to get by, and sometimes having a separate web host for your PHP code).

• 2. Re: Customer/Client portal
            jerrysalem

Jeff

I had a similar problem.  That I solved in a way similar to Mikes suggestion.  In my case, we had the web developer use an open source solution (PHP/MySQL) for the customer portal.  Then we used ESS to pull the data into FileMaker.

Your issue involves Container fields, so there will be some extra issues to deal with, but this might be a good avenue to explore.

Jerry