6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 20, 2017 9:54 AM by TSGal

Appearance of scroll bars when opening popover

simonclement

FileMaker Pro Advanced 15.0.0.119

Mac OS 10.11.4

MacBook Pro

Erratic appearance of scroll bars on left and bottom borders of popover on opening. Possibly a product of the padding set on the popover and how close the contents are placed to the popover borders. Yet repetitively reopening a popover shows that this does not always occur. Being able to place objects flush to popover borders often important to reduce visual clutter. Scroll bars very rarely serve a purpose in popovers. The only time seems to be when content extends past the border of a popover which is of questionable usage. I would like the option to supress the appearance of scroll bars in popovers at all times.

How to replicate. Create a popover and place object close or flush with popover margin. Reopen popover several times.

Workaround: Use yet another button to open the popover using Go To Object.

• 1. Re: Appearance of scroll bars when opening popover
          TSGal

simonclement:

Thank you for your post.

If your fields are within the popover padding, then the scroll bar will appear.  Therefore, set the paddings (left, right, top bottom) to 0, and the scroll bars will not appear.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Appearance of scroll bars when opening popover
            simonclement

If a graphic or field is placed so that it is flush with the edge of a popover with zero margins the scroll bars will appear as the popover is opening. I understand the popover is responding to what it thinks is out of bounds content but there is no more content to show. The scroll bars will then also appear as you drag over the popover yet no new content is revealed.

It would be useful to be able to place content in this flush border manner to give the appearance of content with only the popover border as a margin. Suppressing the drawing of scrollbars while the popover animation is opening or when content does not extend past the popover margins would give a more useful and stable appearance without losing any functionality.

• 3. Re: Appearance of scroll bars when opening popover
              TSGal

simonclement:

Thank you for the clarification.  I understand.

I have sent your posts, along with a sample file, to our Development and Testing departments for review.  When I receive any feedback, I will let you know.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Appearance of scroll bars when opening popover
                TSGal

simonclement:

Our Development and Testing teams are already aware of this issue.  In essence, the popover content area is defined by the inside edge of its border.  The workaround is to give the popover no border, or to position the fields so that they do not overlap the popover's border.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 5. Re: Appearance of scroll bars when opening popover
                  justinc

I have been running into this issue recently as well.  I have a small pop-over menu widget, with a Close widget in the corner.  I would like this close widget to be flush with the outer edges, but in doing so it causes a scroll bar to appear temporarily on the bottom of the pop-over (just the bottom scroll bar shows up).  It then disappears .5s later, but is quite noticeable.

I have made my pop-over with 0 padding on all edges.  There is no border on the pop-over.  The right edge of the pop-over is at 980.  If I locate the right edge of my Close widget at 980, I see scroll bars.  If I locate the right edge at 979, I see no scroll bars, but then there is a dark edge (the background of the pop-over) around the outside of my widget.

If I give the pop-over a 1pt border that is transparent, the dark outline goes away, but then I see scroll bars if I position the widget with the right edge at 979.  I have to move the widget in one more point to 978 to stop the appearance of the scroll bars.

However, that is with a rounded corner on the pop-over.  It appears that the rounded corners are also considered in this 'overlap' calculation.  If I remove all rounding from the pop-over (and all borders) then my widget is able to be located at 979 without the scroll bars showing up.  But then it still looks bad as there is a dark gray rounded corner showing around the widget.

One solution would be to give the pop-over a transparent background and place a rectangle object (with the desired background color-fill) inside the pop-over that is two or four points smaller in each dimension.  Then it becomes the rectangle that defines the visual area of the pop-over.  Oh...but then you lose the little triangle/pointer of the pop-over, too.  Darn it.

• 6. Re: Appearance of scroll bars when opening popover
                    TSGal

justinc:

I have also attached your post to the original report.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.