1 2 3 Previous Next 33 Replies Latest reply on Jun 4, 2016 3:58 PM by schamblee

FMS15 on Windows10Pro machine

tvdh

Has anybody tested this?

i Just bought a new computer with Windows10Pro.

Now i'm thinking to buy a teamlicence for 5 people, but i seem to need Windows Server 2012 R2 to run FMS15.

And since FMS is not supported on Windows10 Pro, i don't know what to do.

Maybe for my very small environment (team of 5) it would work, it would save me a lot... (time and money) to deploy my database.

• 1. Re: FMS15 on Windows10Pro machine
          schamblee

Who know why FMI does not want to support Windows 10.   I'm running a test server with FMS15 on Windows 10 and I have not had any issues.    FMI states that the none server version of El Captain on a Mac Mini will run FMS15 so it should run on a faster Windows 10 computer system.   Note :  Not supported means that FMI has not tested, in this case with Windows 10 and if issues occur then they will not provide any support.    

• 2. Re: FMS15 on Windows10Pro machine
            tvdh

Thnx for your reaction schamblee, i hope there will be a couple more reactions soon, before I’ll try to install it to Windows 10 Professional.

Its worth trying anyway i think, but if it doesn't work well, i’ll be in trouble, i guess, to get the FMS-software to a ‘new’ computer?…

If not, its certainly worth trying!

kind regards

Op 2 jun. 2016, om 17:15 heeft schamblee <noreply@filemaker.com> het volgende geschreven:

FMS15 on Windows10Pro machine

reply from schamblee <https://community.filemaker.com/people/schamblee?et=watches.email.thread> in Discussions - View the full discussion <https://community.filemaker.com/message/577089?et=watches.email.thread#577089>

Who know why FMI does not want to support Windows 10.   I'm running a test server with FMS15 on Windows 10 and I have not had any issues.    FMI states that the none server version of El Captain on a Mac Mini will run FMS15 so it should run on a faster Windows 10 computer system.   Note :  Not supported means that FMI has not tested, in this case with Windows 10 and if issues occur then they will not provide any support.   

Reply to this message by replying to this email, or go to the message on FileMaker Community <https://community.filemaker.com/message/577089?et=watches.email.thread#577089>

Start a new discussion in Discussions by email <mailto:discussions-community-discussions@filemaker-inc-v8.hosted.jivesoftware.com> or at FileMaker Community <https://community.filemaker.com/choose-container.jspa?contentType=1&containerType=14&container=2310&et=watches.email.thread>

Following FMS15 on Windows10Pro machine <https://community.filemaker.com/message/577089?et=watches.email.thread#577089> in these streams: Inbox

Manage your email preferences <https://community.filemaker.com//user-preferences!input.jspa>

FileMaker Developer Conference 2016 • Las Vegas, Nevada • July 18-21 • www.filemaker.com/devcon <http://www.filemaker.com/devcon>

• 3. Re: FMS15 on Windows10Pro machine
              wimdecorte

tvdh wrote:

Thnx for your reaction schamblee, i hope there will be a couple more reactions soon, before I’ll try to install it to Windows 10 Professional.

Its worth trying anyway i think, but if it doesn't work well, i’ll be in trouble, i guess, to get the FMS-software to a ‘new’ computer?…

If not, its certainly worth trying!

You really shouldn't.  Why put yourself outside of FM support parameters?  Either your solution is worth the extra cost or it is not.

I - personally and professionally - would not worry about whether it would actually work, but how I could support the solution.  Why would you pay for the licensing but then turn around and kill any chances of support that you may get?

If cost is an issue then look at something like AWS or Azure to get a server on a monthly charge.  It's fairly inexpensive and you can tune it to just what you need.

• 4. Re: FMS15 on Windows10Pro machine
                sreese

Server 2012 R2 Essentials isn't terribly expensive. If its a small business this should be more than sufficient.

http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Windows-Server-2012-Essentials/dp/B00GAIBC0I?ie=UTF8&*Version*=1&*entries*=0

• Full OEM Version of Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials Edition
                • 25 User limit and 50 devices - No CALs ( Client Access Licenses) required
                • Simplified user management and easy file sharing
                • Includes PC backup and optional connection to Office 365
                • 5. Re: FMS15 on Windows10Pro machine
                  alangodfrey

Wim I'd love to have a customer base like yours!  They seem to really appreciate the value of your solutions and are happy to pay whatever they need.  Maybe it's an 'Apple Attitude' thing?   $400 for an operating system "isn't terribly expensive"?  - and it isn't even the full-fat version.  And then of course one must provide the server hardware that FMI recommend as well.  And you lose it as a workstation.  If everyone would just pay up without question we'd all be happy, but my customers are constantly looking for less cost and better value.  The idea that any of them would happily pay all of that to service 5 users is unthinkable.  I get the impression that FMI thinks it is somehow cheapskate for their customers to try to find ways to cut costs, and I think that is a real turn-off for a lot of people.   With their prices increasing all the time, people are going to be or feel pressurised into cutting corners to cut costs.  It's inevitable. The OP is a perfect example.

Maybe it's just me...  (and the OP)

schamblee - I ran a test of FM server on a Win7 Pro machine (ie: not supported) and it ran fine, except for Web Direct (which just 'didn't work'.).  Does your test of Win10 service Web Direct OK?

• 6. Re: FMS15 on Windows10Pro machine
                    wimdecorte

alangodfrey wrote:

Wim I'd love to have a customer base like yours! They seem to really appreciate the value of your solutions and are happy to pay whatever they need. Maybe it's an 'Apple Attitude' thing? $400 for an operating system "isn't terribly expensive"? - and it isn't even the full-fat version. And then of course one must provide the server hardware that FMI recommend as well. And you lose it as a workstation.

I honestly don't know what to say to that...

My clients don't pay if they don't think there is value in what I suggest they pay.

I don't think it is that hard: either it is worth it or it is not.  If you want to forgo support then make that choice.  Make sure your client is aware of it.

I don't see where the cost of a decent server and OS has any significant impact on the budget of a solution.  It should have been calculated in from the beginning anyway.  I really really really really don't see how this can be an afterthought that comes as surprise.

When you pitch a project, you know exactly what the cost factors are.  Sure, you can wish there were cheaper options but the supported options are known up-front.

Development vs. Deployment - Soliant Consulting

The actual deployment of the solution is the cornerstone of the whole thing.  Doesn't matter how crafty you wrote your scripts or how cool the layouts look.  If you put it on a marginal server (workstation?) and it falls over then you will still get blamed.

• 7. Re: FMS15 on Windows10Pro machine
                      sreese

I totally disagree with you here. $400 isn't that expensive for a server operating system. Its expensive because you feel it to be so. When you have the mind set of things being so expensive you are hamstringing yourself. Its the cost of doing business. Your attitude will help reflect that attitude upon your customers.

I know a good deal of attorney's office that only have  2 or 3 users that still pay for a windows server. Why? Because their software demanded it of them. They felt the product was good enough to be worth the investment.

Why do you not see your own product as being worthy of that kind of pricing? Do you not have the confidence that after using your product they will see it as a benefit instead of hindrance?

It isn't tens of thousands of dollars, its a couple hundred bucks. If a couple hundred bucks here saves you thousands down the road isn't it worth it? What about time? How much time are you saving them with your solution?

It is a business grade product requiring business grade hardware. I haven't ever had a customer that I couldn't sell the importance of having a good machine to house their applications regardless of what it was they were running. If they didn't want to spend the money then I wouldn't waste my time.

Sorry, but its the truth.

Scott

• 8. Re: FMS15 on Windows10Pro machine
                        sreese

wimdecorte wrote:

When you pitch a project, you know exactly what the cost factors are. Sure, you can wish there were cheaper options but the supported options are known up-front.

Your post reminded me of an old saying my grandma used to tell me:

"If wishes were horses then beggars would ride."

• 9. Re: FMS15 on Windows10Pro machine
                          schamblee
                          If you put it on a marginal server (workstation?) and it falls over then you will still get blamed.

I understand your statement about using Windows Server for Support purposes, but Windows 10 is not a marginal server, no more than using EL Capitan on a Mac Mini.    I don't agree with FMI not supporting Windows 10.        

• 10. Re: FMS15 on Windows10Pro machine
                            schamblee
                            It is a business grade product requiring business grade hardware. 
                            So why does FMI support FMS of a MAC mini.  
                            You can easily get a Windows 10 computer with a SSD and quad core Intel i5 or i7.  MAC Mini is only Dual Core.   Hardware is not the issue. 

The issue is software only and it is based on Windows 10 or EL Capitan which happens to be an Apple product so it is OK.
                            • 11. Re: FMS15 on Windows10Pro machine
                              sreese

schamblee wrote:

If you put it on a marginal server (workstation?) and it falls over then you will still get blamed.

I understand your statement about using Windows Server for Support purposes, but Windows 10 is not a marginal server, no more than using EL Capitan on a Mac Mini. I don't agree with FMI not supporting Windows 10.

Mac OS X was original built upon Unix server. In addition FileMaker is a subsidiary of Apple and wants to make certain that companies can run an entirely Mac OS shop.

• 12. Re: FMS15 on Windows10Pro machine
                                sreese

schamblee wrote:

It is a business grade product requiring business grade hardware.
                                So why does FMI support FMS of a MAC mini.
                                You can easily get a Windows 10 computer with a SSD and quad core Intel i5 or i7. MAC Mini is only Dual Core. Hardware is not the issue.

The issue is software only and it is based on Windows 10 or EL Capitan which happens to be an Apple product so it is OK.

Windows 10 is NOT a server operating system. It wasn't designed to be so. Nor do you really want to run server on a machine that can reboot itself any time it feels like to install updates.

• 13. Re: FMS15 on Windows10Pro machine
                                  wimdecorte

schamblee wrote:

Windows 10 is not a marginal server, no more than using EL Capitan on a Mac Mini. I don't agree with FMI not supporting Windows 10.

Windows 10 is not a server OS.  The IIS version is different, for one thing.

The Mac Mini is not a good server.  It just isn't, it is poor on processing power.

So kindly don't mix messages: running a solution on OSX on a Mac Mini is NOT a good way to go so don't project it as a perfectly fine way to deploy.  It is not.  It only works for the simplest of solutions with a very light load.

This is an age-old discussion and you are fully in your right to not agree with FMI about not supporting desktop OSes for server deployments.  But that does not mean that running FMS on desktop OSes is a good thing.

My take on it is this: typically people want to use a desktop OS because they don't want to buy a server OS, underlying that is that they don't want to buy the infrastructure to really support the deployment - as in: expecting to buy only the minimal hardware (Mac Mini,...) and not the hardware required to get the job done right.

• 14. Re: FMS15 on Windows10Pro machine
                                    schamblee

Windows 10 can be a server and it is more of a server software than El Captain which is support by FMI.   Windows 10 does not reboot itself any time it wants too.  That is an option that can be turned off.   FMS prevents Windows from rebooting.  Like I said I have a Windows 10 computer running FMS 15.

Sorry, If it was about server software then a MAC Mini with EL Captain would not be supported.           

1 2 3 Previous Next