3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 6, 2016 7:10 AM by DavidZakary

FMS 15 SSL advice needed

DavidZakary

HI all,

Need an little advice on setting up an SSL Certificate for my FMS15 machine. I'm a newbie at this. Here's the setup...

• Domain is with an external company that points it to my IP address.
      • I have a machine running OS X Server running a couple services
      • The OS X Server has a self-signed certificate on it
      • FileMaker Server 15 is running on OS X El Capitan (non-server) via Parallels
      • Router passes all FM-related stuff to the VM, that's been working fine until now

Where does the Certificate get installed? On the parent machine or on the VM?

I originally installed it on the VM and am getting a host name mismatch error. When I view the certificate via FM15 there are 3 levels displayed. The first two are fine. The third level gives the not-valid error/host name mismatch.

Not sure where to look first. Any suggestions?

• 1. Re: FMS 15 SSL advice needed
          BeatriceBeaubien

Hi David,

The only small detail I can share is the certificate requires installation on the server (whether virtual or not) and should be issued with the fully qualified domain name of the server. All references (including within the Admin Console set up) I have for my server uses that FQDN.

When I ran into gnarly third party SSL installation head scratchers, the FMI tech support people hung in with me until we got it working. North America (800) 325-2747. They were stellar and saved me from many flavours of grief. Others may chime in with helpful pointers for you, but when in doubt FMI TS have your back with SSL issues if you need them.

All the best,

Beatrice

On Jun 3, 2016, at 20:19, DavidZakary <noreply@filemaker.com> wrote

FMS 15 SSL advice needed

created by DavidZakary in Discussions - View the full discussion

HI all,

Need an little advice on setting up an SSL Certificate for my FMS15 machine. I'm a newbie at this. Here's the setup

• Domain is with an external company that points it to my IP address.

• I have a machine running OS X Server running a couple services

• FileMaker Server 15 is running on OS X El Capitan (non-server) via Parallels

• Router passes all FM-related stuff to the VM, that's been working fine until now

Where does the Certificate get installed? On the parent machine or on the VM?

I originally installed it on the VM and am getting a host name mismatch error. When I view the certificate via FM15 there are 3 levels displayed. The first two are fine. The third level gives the not-valid error/host name mismatch.

Not sure where to look first. Any suggestions?

• 2. Re: FMS 15 SSL advice needed
            stephensexton

Have you set up port forwarding of 5003, 80 & 443 to the LAN IP of the VM?

Is the LAN IP of the VM different to that of the main OS X server instance?

Have you tried installing FMS15 on the same machine as OS X Server, but using alternate ports (when prompted during installation) - i.e. something other than 80 and 443 (assuming that these ports might be used by the other services you are running)?

Which certificate are you attempting to install?

• 3. Re: FMS 15 SSL advice needed
              DavidZakary
              • Ports all forward to the VM.
              • The VM IP is different from the OS X Server IP
              • I have not installed FMS 15 on the same drive as OS X Server as OS X Server is not certified for FMS 15
              • The Certificate is a Go Daddy certificate. The Admin Console says that the certificate is one supported by FMS