4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 7, 2016 4:41 AM by wimdecorte

FMS 14 OSX backup to external disk fails

Vaughan

Hello

I have FMS 14.0.4b (whatever the latest version is) running on OS X 10.11.5. Scheduled backups to external hard disks succeed if the server has the admin user account open, but fail if the OS admin account is logged out (i.e., no accounts open, machine on the OS login screen).

Backups to volumes on internal drives succeed, as do progressive backups.

I have tried all permutations of privileges on the external hard disk and the backups.

I have tested this on two machines and the same problem occurs. I have also downgraded to OS X 10.10.5 and the problem still occurs.

Note that the backups to external volume worked with FMS 13. I have just upgraded the machine to FMS 14 and discovered the backups are failing. As a work-around I leave the server with the admin account open and it works. But I don't like doing that.

I have logged a support call with FM Support, they suggest "it should be working".

Anybody else have the same problem?

Extra detail: open the FMS Admin Console on another machine and edit a backup schedule. If the server machine's admin user is logged-in the backup path to the external disk is valid. Log-out of the admin account on the server and the path becomes invalid.

• 1. Re: FMS 14 OSX backup to external disk fails
          Vaughan

So FMI support advise me that use of external volumes is not supported by FMS. When I asked about Thunderbolt RAID arrays, I was told these are not supported.

I am very confused.

I went back and reproduced my previous setup. This was a machine with single internal SSD which holds the OS and production files. Progressive backups are saved to an external USB3 disk every 20 minutes,. The external drive is also the destination for the nightly scheduled backups. With this configuration the scheduled backups succeed even if the server has no users logged-in. (I'd hazard a guess that the progressive backup keeps the volume mounted or available.)

If USB and Thunderbolt storage is not supported, how can a Mac Pro be used as an FMS host?

• 2. Re: FMS 14 OSX backup to external disk fails
            wimdecorte

You can still use them but use the OS scripting features to move/copy backups from the main drive to the external ones.  That way you have the best of both worlds: you know that your FMS backups will always work and be there on the main drive; and you can use the extra disk space to store more backup sets.

It's been said many  times in various discussions that trying to backup directly to external drives can be fragile.  I can only assume that FMI had enough reports of it not working correctly and leaving people without valid backups that they decided to not support it anymore.

• 3. Re: FMS 14 OSX backup to external disk fails
              Vaughan

I'm not talking NAS, or stuff over ethernet. I'm talking about connected disk drives.

If what you say is true then a Mac Pro cannot be used as a FMS because it only has one internal drive. I find that very hard to believe.

My plan was to have boot drive with the production files; second internal drive with progressive backups; Thunderbolt RAID for scheduled backups (hourly, daily, weekly).

Am I dreaming?

It's worth repeating the FMS seems to be OK to have the progressive backups on an external drive.

• 4. Re: FMS 14 OSX backup to external disk fails
                wimdecorte

Vaughan wrote:

My plan was to have boot drive with the production files; second internal drive with progressive backups; Thunderbolt RAID for scheduled backups (hourly, daily, weekly).

Am I dreaming?

No; but you may have to do some extra work by doing the schedules backup onto the internal drive and then ask the OS to move or copy it to the external.

In the end it always come down to risk appetite: external drives are pretty much always riskier (more brittle, more fragile than internal disk i/o).  Again: only assuming here - if it is true that FMI does not support it anymore - that FMI is trying to protect people from shooting themselves in the foot and being left without backups.

Even if it was supported I would personally still have all backups done on the internal drive and use OS-level script to copy it over.  Backups are too important to run additional risk by having them written to an external device directly (fibre-channel SANs excluded provided the channels have redundancy).