AnsweredAssumed Answered

Mass Record Creation and Tagging

Question asked by RobbWright on Jun 5, 2016
Latest reply on Jun 6, 2016 by erolst

Forgive me if this has come up before, I couldn't find anything related in the discussion archive. I am a composer who works quite extensively with very many large sample libraries - sets of computer files for music and sound creation. I would like to design a FM database to manage thousands of sample instruments (not audio, just the data files), but the metadata to define their various distinguishing features is presently either non-existent or in an incompatible format. What I'm after is this - I want to be able to:

-  select a large group of instrument files, say 200 at a time, and create a record for each, in a single batch operation

-  select a subset of them and tag them with a general keyword, say "viola"; then select a smaller subset and tag them with another keyword, say "divisi", and so on, enabling a lot of info to get tagged in relatively quickly

-  click a button on the record to load the corresponding file into its parent application

-  click a button on the record to load the corresponding file into the top plugin window in my audio workstation

I realize the last one introduces a lot of variability and may be impractical, but if I had to do that manually it wouldn't kill me. I just want to be able to create many records quickly and then tag them en masse in a selective process. Drag and drop creation seems a no-brainer in FM, but I can't seem to drag and drop multiple files to create a record for each. And I'm not sure how to go about mass tagging. Can anyone suggest any tools or scripts for this, or if there's a template that could be modified? Thanks for any help you can offer.

Outcomes