4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 6, 2016 2:03 PM by eduncle

Filemaker Server 14.0.4.412 onwards causing frozen sessions but not crashing

eduncle

Hi,

We have a few databases running on a server and periodically, the server will become unresponsive to web direct, pro and go clients.

This will usually happen during times of moderate activity (less than 10 users most often, mostly using WebD or Go) or when running a server script, this issue never happened under previous versions on FMS14 and was running reliably on 14.0.3.302 for many months, since upgrading to 14.0.4.412 or later (including FMS15), the issue occurs daily sometimes multiple times.  Rolling back to 14.0.3.302 resolves the issue.

When the issue occurs, users can still log on via WedDirect, Go or Pro.  But they get a blank screen (WebD users get the Filemaker Navigation button at top-left but it is unresponsive and this should be hidden in the open script).

Logs show issues with lock conflicts during a daily backup with 2 database users Admin (); Admin() but I don't have a user account of that name.

The server is as follows: -

Dell R620

2 x Intel 6 Core  Xeon E5-2630 v2 @ 2.6 GHz

32GB RAM

Perc H710 RAID w/ 4 x 15k RPM 300GB disks in RAID10

Windows 2012R2 Standard

All hardware drivers and recommended or critical windows updates are installed.

Any help would be appreciated.

Ed

• 1. Re: Filemaker Server 14.0.4.412 onwards causing frozen sessions but not crashing
          TSPigeon

eduncle:

Thank you for your post.

I am not seeing any other reports of this issue. Could you provide some more information:

-Does this issue occur when SSL is disabled?

-Does the issue occur when accessing a new file? (perhaps host a new Starter Solution for testing)

-Does the issue always occur when the backup you mentioned gives a lock conflict?

-Do you have any Plug-Ins installed? (Does the issue occur when they are removed?)

I look forward to your response!

TSPigeon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Filemaker Server 14.0.4.412 onwards causing frozen sessions but not crashing
            eduncle

I have already tested some of these things previously:

- SSL doesn't affect the issue whether on or off

- It doesn't always occur when a backup is running, the backup merely exposes the issue in the logs by reporting locks, usually the server has become unresponsive before the backup (quite often when running a scheduled Filemaker script but not always, sometimes spontaneously while users are adding records to the database).

- We did have MonkeyBread Plugin installed but have removed that in our efforts to track down the issue, it didn't solve the problem.

- I haven't tried with a different file as this is a production server and our users are specifically accessing one solution.  As I mentioned, reverting to FMS 14.0.3 or earlier resolves the issue so I suspect the file is ok.

I would add that the file is 11GB in size including it's (secure, external) container data which accounts for the majority of it.  Records consist of uploaded images for the most part.

Many thanks,

Ed

• 3. Re: Filemaker Server 14.0.4.412 onwards causing frozen sessions but not crashing
              TSPigeon

eduncle:

Thank you for your response!

Testing with a new file would still be a great step, if possible. Damaged files do sometimes show issues in newer versions or updates of the software that hadn't been a problem previously.

Since the issue occurs on FileMaker Server 15 as well, you have tried "reinstalling". Before installing 14.0.4 or 15 have you removed or renamed the FileMaker Server Folder? It is possible the newer software is referencing a damaged file that 14.0.3 isn't affected by.

I will look into changes after 14.0.3 that we can look into while I wait for your response here.

TSPigeon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Filemaker Server 14.0.4.412 onwards causing frozen sessions but not crashing
                eduncle

Thank you for your help TSPigeon

I can't take down the main file right now as it's the busiest time of year for the schools who use our solution but will do so as soon as possible.

Regarding reinstalling, the server was previously running Windows 2008R2 Std and experienced these issues after going to 14.0.4.x.  Again, while trying to track the issue down, we wiped the server and clean installed 2012R2 and 14.0.4.412 completely clean so there wouldn't be any left over files in the FileMaker Server folder.

Anything else you can suggest would be much appreciated

Ed