2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 6, 2016 11:08 AM by keithstehlik

Layout with just two portals of the same table

keithstehlik

I am trying to create a switchboard layout that users will first see when logging into the solution. It would just have two portals on it

of the same table. The first portal Category will show choices based on the persons user privilege set

The second Option will change based on what is chosen in the first portal. I believe I can do this thru portal filtering.

The table has 6 fields

My first problem is to get the portals to fill with anything. If I base the layout on the table tblDropDown I can't make the portals of the same table.

I have a global table so i created a connection field in it and tblDropDown, created a relationship between the two and based the layout on the global table. I can than add the portals to it. I have not tried filtering yet but the portals show empty.

What am I doing wrong?

• 1. Re: Layout with just two portals of the same table
          erolst

It would have been nice to see the Relationship Graph. But anyway, the relationships cannot work because (for some reason, probably because you set it that way) your constant 1 is unstored; match fields on the "target" side of the relationship must be indexable.

Good news is, you can simply set that field to indexed; but even better news is that don't need that field anyway, because there is a built-in relationship match operator that does what you need: create a relationship that returns a related set of all records.

keithstehlik wrote:

My first problem is to get the portals to fill with anything. If I base the layout on the table tblDropDown I can't make the portals of the same table.

You can relate any table to any other, and even to itself: simply create a new table occurrences of the DropDown table and relate it to the "original" table occurrence (the one the layout is based on), using the x (Cartesian, last entry in the popup) operator, using any field on either side.

Now add two portals to the layout that point at the new, related table occurrence, and filter each one differently

PS: Consider renaming your tables; in FileMaker, it is usually clear from the context what is a table and what is a field, and visual noise (to wit: useless "tbl"-prefixes) is just as distracting as the auditory variety.

• 2. Re: Layout with just two portals of the same table
            keithstehlik

Thanks Erolst

Using the Cartesian operator work good.

Some of these tables, like tblDropDown are ESS tables from a SQL database. I am trying to build a new frontend for that while tying them into my existing solution. I am trying to use everything that was already created there.