AnsweredAssumed Answered

Various cleanup and prevention techniques for carriage returns?

Question asked by JamesGrubic on Jun 6, 2016
Latest reply on Jun 6, 2016 by BruceRobertson

Hi, we've got a rather large inventory database (30,000+ records) and we're having quite the problem with carriage returns in one of the fields.

I've been googling this quite a bit trying to come up with how best to do the following different tasks:

1. Quickly do a search in Find mode in a limited set to find records in a certain field that currently have a carriage return. I currently want to do this just to see how many records I am dealing with that have this problem. I have tried Pilcrow character, chr(13), slash r, etc, and I don't seem to be able to find the wording or text needed to find returns in a field. Everything I have tried is no results.

2. Be able to quickly zap records that have the CR. So far I am reading that an auto-enter with Substitute ( YourEmailField ; "¶" ; "" ) would work well. I currently have some text formatting on this field so I have to be careful.

TextStyleRemove (TextColor ( TextSize ( TextFont ( SerialNumber; "Courier New" ); "12"); RGB ( 0;0;51) ); Bold)

This is to present serial numbers in a consistent way instead of the typical garbage that gets pasted in.

3. Prevent carriage returns from being entered in the field ever again. One trick I found was to add Return as a Go to next object, but we do searching on this field heavily so I need the carriage return to work in Find mode.

Thanks for any advice!

James

Outcomes