10 Replies Latest reply on Jun 13, 2017 9:25 PM by Fred(CH)

Unable to save layout changes ?

Fred(CH)

Product and version

FileMaker Pro 15.0.1 and prior back to 12

OS and version

OS X 10.10.5 and earlier (but irrelevant)

Hardware

iMac Retina 5K 27'' Late 2014 (but irrelevant)

Description

Since i began working with FileMaker Pro, 7 years ago, i took the habit to have at least two windows opened permanently : first one in Browse Mode for testing, second one in Layout Mode, to access quickly to all conception tools...

Before FileMaker 12, i was able to modify and save layout changes in a window in Layout Mode whereas another window in Browse Mode was displaying an open/uncommitted record using the same Layout. The "con" was i had to keep in mind that some layout changes would not appear until the record was committed.

But since FileMaker 12, the behavior have changed : sounds like one is no longer supposed to modify a layout in this specific situation. It is the reason why you sometimes get an error message trying to select a layout object, even if this layout is not edited on a another window nor by another user ! Never mind ?

But what happens when the developer tries to save his layout changes whereas the layout was first modified here, but a record was then modified in a separate window ?

Sounds like FileMaker first go to the corresponding Browse Mode window, try to commit the record and finally, returns to the other window, saving the layout changes… as expected ! All that… so discretely… we do not realize the trick :-)

Mmmh... but what if a script OnRecordCommit is installed on the layout ? HERE is the bug :

1. The OnRecordCommit script IS FIRED
      2. But the record is not Committed
      3. And the Layout save is failing without any error message

And this sequence is reapeating as long as the developer try to save his layout, except to go "manually" to the browse window commit his record and then return back to the layout window to finally save his layout once more.

PUZZLING NOTE : When the file is hosted, the issue only occurs if the user who modifiy the layout and who modify the record is the same person !

How to replicate

Open the sample file in attachment and follow carefully instructions.

• 1. Re: Unable to save layout changes ?
          TSGal

Fred(CH):

Thank you for your post.

If data is uncommitted in a layout, any changes to the layout cannot be updated until the data is committed.  However, it appears the data is not being recognized as committed unless I put the Commit Records script step within the script called by OnRecordCommit script trigger.

I have sent your file and comments to our Development and Testing departments for review.  When I receive any feedback, I will let you know.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Unable to save layout changes ?
            TSGal

Fred(CH):

Development confirms this was changed in FileMaker Pro 12 due to other serious issues with data being lost.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 3. Re: Unable to save layout changes ?
              Fred(CH)

Thanks.

Please tell them that i understand that it could be a minor issue than, obviously, data loss for instance, but the behavior has nevertheless to be considered as an issue (maybe it is the case, it is unclear regarding your formulation).

• 4. Re: Unable to save layout changes ?
                Fred(CH)

Sorry i think i have to be more clear :

The design change that is to commit an open record when the layout is saved is not my matter here. More safe ? Perfect !

But the fact that the commit is failing for the only reason there is a script trigger attached (even empty) on the layout AND then we do not get any error message when the layout changes are not saved is the issue i am talking about.

• 5. Re: Unable to save layout changes ?
                  Benjamin Fehr

Your case proofs the importance of FMI Documentations for any change-of-Design and Bug fixes.

Your experience meets my demand for a manual or white paper for all kinds of "Under the Hood" Processes.

TSGal

May I ask you to bring this forward to Product Management AND Development?

thanks

• 6. Re: Unable to save layout changes ?
                    Fred(CH)

Your case proofs the importance of FMI Documentations for any change-of-Design and Bug fixes.

Your experience meets my demand for a manual or white paper for all kinds of "Under the Hood" Processes.

Yes and no : of course, i am with you about more documenting the changes and bug fixes : it would be fantastic ! But in this specific case, detecting the design change was the easy part. It took me more time to realize that the script trigger (even dummy) was leading the whole process to fail. And i am almost sure Dev team itself was not aware about that.

• 7. Re: Unable to save layout changes ?
                      TSPigeon

Fred(CH):

But the fact that the commit is failing for the only reason there is a script trigger attached (even empty) on the layout AND then we do not get any error message when the layout changes are not saved is the issue i am talking about.

Just to confirm before I contact Testing and Development, the problem you have with this is that you are not receiving an error message or dialog for saving the Layout in one window when a record commit fails due to the known issue in a different window? (Sorry, coming in late on this one.)

TSPigeon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 8. Re: Unable to save layout changes ?
                        Fred(CH)

Hi TSPigeon,

Yes : after one have modified the layout and activated the command Save Layout, if FileMaker is really unable to accomplish this command, whatever the cause of the failure, i would expect an error message.

Thanks for your efforts !

• 9. Re: Unable to save layout changes ?
                          TSPigeon

Fred(CH):

Thank you for clarification. I have forwarded this information on to Testing and Development and recommending we look into populating an error or dialog in this situation.

TSPigeon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 10. Re: Unable to save layout changes ?
                            Fred(CH)

Development confirms this was changed in FileMaker Pro 12 due to other serious issues with data being lost.

Just realized today that it also occurs when the open "record" was in Search Mode (in other words, it was an open REQUEST and not an open record). [FileMaker 16.0.1]

So the argument of Dev is not relevant here : Data being lost in Search Mode ???