1 2 Previous Next 20 Replies Latest reply on Jun 13, 2016 9:58 AM by beverly

When will SQL 2014 be officially supported?

ryan@onf.coop

This source, as well as other questions I've seen in the community, suggest that SQL 2014 is not yet officially supported by Filemaker.  Does anyone know when this will be integrated?  What would be the best, most error-free way to establish a link between a FM DB and a SQL Server 2014-driven application if this support will not be available soon? 

Thanks for your help!

~Ryan

• 1. Re: When will SQL 2014 be officially supported?
          monkeybreadsoftware

While FileMaker may not talk about unannounced features, I can tell you that you can use MBS FileMaker Plugin to talk directly to Oracle, Microsoft SQL Server, DB2, Sybase, SQL Anywhere, Informix, InterBase/Firebird, SQLBase, MySQL, PostgreSQL, ODBC and SQLite via our SQL commands.

see plugin here:

Monkeybread Software - MBS FileMaker Plugin 6.2

Monkeybread Software - MBS FileMaker Plugin: SQL Connection

• 2. Re: When will SQL 2014 be officially supported?
            beverly
            • depending on platform calling the SQL, the driver is one of the issues

• the script steps Import and Execute SQL, may be available - note: this is not the ESS "live connect", but still possible to use, provided the driver can make the connection.

• indirectly with .csv (not the best, but still doable if nothing else)

beverly

• 3. Re: When will SQL 2014 be officially supported?
              user19752

Hi, isn't it clear that he is talking about ESS as saying "officially supported" ?

• 4. Re: When will SQL 2014 be officially supported?
                beverly

and then proceed to ask for alternative until "available"...

Long before ESS, 'officially' SQL,<->FM used the script steps (even with MS SQL, Win-2-Win via ODBC). Why would they become "unofficial" now?

beverly

• 5. Re: When will SQL 2014 be officially supported?
                  wimdecorte

ryan@onf.coop wrote:

This source, as well as other questions I've seen in the community, suggest that SQL 2014 is not yet officially supported by Filemaker. Does anyone know when this will be integrated?

The "when" is unknown but since the ESS adapter has been split off we can very likely look forward to updates to the ESS component independent of the rest of FMS and that means that - hopefully - we will see more nimble changes in this area.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: When will SQL 2014 be officially supported?
                    ryan@onf.coop

Hi wimdecorte,

So it sounds like Filemaker has a pattern of not pre-announcing features, and I gather that's why we don't know when it'll be officially supported?  That's understandable, I think.  I am encouraged by that split, though; I'll stay watchful for news on official support.  Thanks for the information!

~Ryan

• 7. Re: When will SQL 2014 be officially supported?
                      ryan@onf.coop

Hi Beverly,

Thanks for the suggestions on methods for establishing this link!  Could you possibly speak to what options are not available without official integration?  Would it just be the "live connect" feature that's unavailable (or perhaps technically available, but potentially unreliable), or are there other options that are not open?

Also, do the strategies you listed cover all of the best-practice options available without a live-connect scenario?  I found this resource that discusses connecting to an external SQL source; would this be our best option?  Is it generally reliable?

This is my first time doing something like this, and I'm also still pretty new to filemaker, so I'm just trying to cover all the bases.  Thanks for your help!

~Ryan

• 8. Re: When will SQL 2014 be officially supported?
                        beverly

Yes, the "live connect" if the difference. You are basically "syncing" between FM and SQL by pulling (SELECT with Import) and pushing (INSERT, UPDATE or DELETE with Execute SQL) if you do not have ESS. Once data is brought in (with the SELECT-by-Import), then it is data that can be changed, removed or given additions. But because it is not "live connect", these changes must be scripted to call SQL queries (in Execute SQL script step) to push back into the SQL db. Keeping in mind that changes may possibly be made directly in the SQL db through other means at the same time (web site, SQL admin apps, etc.)

It mostly depends on why you need to connect to SQL db and, of course, what permission you may have with the SQL db. I work with clients who have means to only get data (via .csv) from SQL and this is sufficient for even "updating" records that might be in FileMaker already (a one-way pull only).

Perhaps you may have FMServer as a source (XML or ODBC) and pull-push data via another app (or web app) that can sync with SQL db. This is also not "live connect", but using something other than FM to make the communication. I have done this as well when it was the only option. This may give you more permissions on the SQL db that you might not get otherwise.

And if there is an "ESS" method in the future (unknown), you don't have to wait to make some connection now (if the current drivers work).

beverly

• 9. Re: When will SQL 2014 be officially supported?
                          actualjon

Although SQL Server 2014 is not officially supported by ESS in FM 15, you should be able to use it with no problems as long as you are using the MS SQL Server Native Client 11 ODBC driver (and as long as you don't use any new data types introduced in SQL Server 2014, i.e. spacetime).

Jonathan

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                          • 10. Re: When will SQL 2014 be officially supported?
                            beverly

Thank you, Jonathan!

I found this link to the driver (to be placed on Windows client):

For those with Mac clients, do you have suggestions?

beverly

• 11. Re: When will SQL 2014 be officially supported?
                              actualjon
                              For those with Mac clients, do you have suggestions?

Beverly, thanks for the soft ball

<plug>

The Actual SQL Server driver (for OS X) is compatible with SQL Server 2014:

http://www.actualtech.com/product_sqlserver.php

</plug>

Jonathan Monroe

Actual Technologies - ODBC for OS X

• 12. Re: When will SQL 2014 be officially supported?
                                beverly

always, Jonathan!

beverly

• 13. Re: When will SQL 2014 be officially supported?
                                  ryan@onf.coop

Thanks for the exact information!  I'll be sure to use this driver once we're ready to establish the link.  I really appreciate all of the help!

~Ryan

• 14. Re: When will SQL 2014 be officially supported?
                                    LSNOVER

Actually, more substantive changes needed in ESS will not particularly benefit from the spit of the driver part of the development.  To properly support newer versions (and even older versions) of the main SQL dbs "supported" by Filemaker will require changes in the core of the Filemaker Pro/Server product.  Drivers can mask some aspects of the newer versions, but if you attempt to use newer field types or want to use binary fields, you are currently out of luck. 

If you restrict your use to the field types and structures used in the officially supported versions you are likely to have no issues.  But we need to urge FMI not to just make changes via the drivers and actually improve the capabilities of ESS and bring them up to snuff with comparable database products.  The current limitations and performance issues are disappointing and only become more frustrating as FMI adds more potential data sources, without addressing fundamental issues in the ESS feature set.

It is a shame that we have to resort to work arounds like raw data imports and scripted updates over seven years after ESS was introduced.  I just had to check my dates, and I can't believe I think it was introduced in 2007?!  There have only been minor updates to the feature despite major shortcomings since making it's debut.  It really is long past due for some love and attention.

1 2 Previous Next