4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 7, 2016 3:10 PM by addison

Autofill or Portals?

addison

I'm building a time card database and I don't know if I will need to use portals or autofill. Employee information (first and last name, most importantly) is stored in one table, and time cards are stored in another. When an employee creates a new time card (a new record), I want their first and last name to fill the first and last name fields.

I already have a field that automatically fills in the creator/employee's Account Name when they create a new record, but I don't know if I can link this to the employee info table in such a way as it will know to insert the correct first and last name associated with that Account Name.

Do I need to set up a portal to show the first and last name? Or is there an autofill setting I can use? I haven't used portals before, so I want to know if that's the best way to do what I'm trying to do, and if so, how would I get started?

• 1. Re: Autofill or Portals?
          siplus

adurolaser wrote:

I'm building a time card database and I don't know if I will need to use portals or autofill. Employee information (first and last name, most importantly) is stored in one table, and time cards are stored in another. When an employee creates a new time card (a new record), I want their first and last name to fill the first and last name fields.

What you want goes against what you really need.

When an employee creates a time card, all you really need is to attach her/his ID (from the employee table) to the new time card, as foreign key in a field in the time card table designed for holding that info.

• 2. Re: Autofill or Portals?
            erolst

siplus wrote:

adurolaser wrote:

I want their first and last name to fill the first and last name fields.

all you really need is to attach her/his ID (from the employee table) to the new time card, as foreign key in a field in the time card table designed for holding that info.

Because then one can use a/the relationship via that key to display the name from the related Employee record.

While there are certain scenarios in a related database system where you want, nay, must copy data, this is not one of them.

• 3. Re: Autofill or Portals?
              addison

What do you mean by ID? The employee's Account Name? Or a number unique to the employee?

I need the employee's full name to appear on time cards for payroll purposes.

Thanks for your help!

• 4. Re: Autofill or Portals?
                addison

Exactly, I want to display the name from the related record.

I'm not sure how using a foreign key (like an employee ID number?) would help though, because the only field that automatically recognizes the employee upon record creation is the Account Name field, and I don't want employees to manually enter any information. So wouldn't the connection between the two tables be through the Account Name?