1 2 Previous Next 17 Replies Latest reply on Jun 9, 2016 7:25 AM by Markus Schneider

Hosting an external database via Filemaker pro - sharing issues

nigeldunkley

Hello,

Im new to filemaker (never developed), and run a company that has recently acquired a database called tessera / arawak.  As the website of the company isn't filemaker itself, they will only give a certain amount of information with regards to establishing a sharing network to be able to use multiple devices.

They say that is I host the database that I make via Tessera through a copy of Filemaker on my desktop, then I should have the potential for remote access (even outside of local network) on multiple devices, as long as I have either filemaker pro, or go on the respective devices.

I have scoured the internet trying to understand this import procedure, so that my mother computer can host via filemaker, but I cant find it in simple terms anywhere.

So the question is how would I 'host' this tessera db via filemaker, then once I do, whether I edit that db in filemaker if I want to modify the contents? Or would I have to edit in Tessera, then upload new file every time I want the host to have the updated version?

Thanks in advance for any help you may be able to offer

• 1. Re: Hosting an external database via Filemaker pro - sharing issues
          Mike_Mitchell

Use FileMaker Server. Peer-to-peer hosting (using your desktop computer as the host) is dangerous enough if it's just a local office. Exposing your computer as a server to the open internet is suicide.

There are several good hosting companies that can do it for you. Just Google "FileMaker hosting".

• 2. Re: Hosting an external database via Filemaker pro - sharing issues
            PointInSpace

+1 on using FileMaker Server.

- John

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Hosting an external database via Filemaker pro - sharing issues
              wimdecorte

The 'tessera' solution is a filemaker runtime.

You can host a runtime on FileMaker Server and then make it available to any of the users through FileMaker Pro or Go but you will have to get licenses for both the server and the clients.

• 4. Re: Hosting an external database via Filemaker pro - sharing issues
                nigeldunkley

Thanks for these replies.

I was able to authenticate local guests on both ipad and laptop with FM15, but still am struggling with remote access outside the network.

I followed the FM procedure for accessing router, ips for routher and server computer etc, but ran into a glitch with directing the port to the server computer.  The settings of the router didn't specify (in the firewall/security settings) how to direct port to server, as when I tried it said other elements of the router were using the same IP (that of my server) for other functions.

Basically what I need is SSH potential into the computer via FM, but the protocol that was given isnt really universal.  I know the public ip of computer, I know the local ip, I can log into router, but Im also running osx server (the programme) with a minute amount of edited settings pointing the other computers towards the server as the router to expedite speed.

Im sure its actually not that complex, and its a problem of configuring ports but I cant get the details right. 

Hopefully this will help someone else in the same situation if people respond, as Im unable to find a tutorial or solid web solution that can help thoroughly.

Thanks for the responses, again, they are much appreciated.

Bests

• 5. Re: Hosting an external database via Filemaker pro - sharing issues
                  jfletch

What everyone has said: you MUST use FileMaker Server or you are just asking for trouble. Depending on how critical your data is to your operation, consequences range from costly to apocalyptic. Spend a bit of money and hire someone who knows FileMaker to consult with you and get it right. Sure you can learn to do that yourself. We are almost all "self-taught," but you have a business to run, and unless that business is creating and selling business software solutions, you are just diluting your efforts at a successful business.

• 6. Re: Hosting an external database via Filemaker pro - sharing issues
                    mardikennedy

When you say "they", it sounds as if you're asking your website people about your other product, Tessera.  Yes? No?  Website developers will often not be totally up to speed on the intricacies of FileMaker.

It's probably easiest to get in touch with Tessera's developer, who is very approachable.  It's unclear which version you have - the Artist version (probably a "runtime"), or perhaps the Gallery version (probably an FMP file).  If you can let the developer know exactly what it is that you, as the client, would like to end up with, ie whether the data is solely for 'internal' use (doesn't sound likely from your question), or whether some or all of it should be publicly viewable, then he can probably point you in the right direction.

• 7. Re: Hosting an external database via Filemaker pro - sharing issues
                      Markus Schneider

Some basic stuff first:

- FileMaker is a database system, client and server. Server does the 'hosting', client is for working with data (also developing, et all)

- FileMaker Pro Advanced (developer edition of FileMaker Pro) lets one create so-called runtimes, does not need a FileMaker licence, is not networkable, single-user. Different runtime version for Win/Mac, might be OS dependent

- FileMaker server can also host runtime solution, then, a runtime can be used with FileMaker clients

- traffic (fmnet) goes via tcp port 5003

- FileMaker server can also serve data via web-access (webdirect). Then, clients are connecting via browser

- FileMaker server can serve db files via SSL (SSH is something different)

- the same FileMaker solution can be opened locally, directly with a FileMaker client (double click on the FileMaker file) or can be installed on FileMaker server (NOT one single solution at the same time, use FM Server OR a local installation)

- a FileMaker client that has db-files opened can be used as a peer2peer host (just for a limitted, handfull other clients). Then, that client opens the local files, not hosted ones..)

- not all FileMaker versions are compatible (.fp7 not compatible with .fmp12 files, etc). Therefore make sure to use the 'right' versions

So, You have to install a FileMaker server on a compatible hardware and load the db-files on that FMServer

When inside the LAN, You're done, open FileMaker client on a workstation, iOS (FileMaker Go) and do a 'remote open', select Your db solution. The rest depends on that solution (user accounts, et all)

If You need to get access via WAN (aka internet), You have to 'route' the 'traffic'. Means: Tell Your router that all traffic on port 5003 has to be sent to that hardware (or virtual machine) that runs FileMaker server. How to 'route' depends on the modem/'internet hardware'

• 8. Re: Hosting an external database via Filemaker pro - sharing issues
                        nigeldunkley

Thanks, yes I can see the server version being more applicable, yet for the remote access that this third party site is speaking of, they are saying for under 5 users, pro will work, for over server is the one.  Im guessing you are suggesting server mainly bc with pro there are limited security features?  Meaning my information (none of which is public btw) is susceptible to attack?

Here is the blurd where they say what I just mentioned, so you can see: Installing Tessera – Tessera Help

Thank you

N

• 9. Re: Hosting an external database via Filemaker pro - sharing issues
                          nigeldunkley

Thanks - yes I am in touch, but they will only put me through to support who have a limited knowledge and are unable to comprehend other devices (like the router), or FMP.

The file is a USR (?)

thanks

• 10. Re: Hosting an external database via Filemaker pro - sharing issues
                            nigeldunkley

Yes it seems server is the one from everyones info.  The third party DB that I have purchased says use pro for under 5 users, and server for above - this is why I was aiming for pro, is because we are two people running the company, with the odd third - never needing more than 3 clients open at the same time, editing (for the moment at least).

As far as local access, I have that already setup and running.  I have two clients, one IOS with FMGo, and another with FMpro able to access and edit on local network in realtime.

So, yes what I need now is WAN access as you mentioned.  Ive been inside router trying to figure it out, but when I tried to alter port direction, it wouldnt allow - Today I will try again.

But, from what I understand, my network will be more vulnerable using FMP, even if I have under 5 users?  So without question I should use server?

Thank you again

• 11. Re: Hosting an external database via Filemaker pro - sharing issues
                              Markus Schneider

there are basic things:

- FM server is a service - no need to have an user logged in to let others work

- peer2peer needs user to be logged in

- data is committed to the host when leaving a field, when a script commits (data in 'open' fields (cursor inside that field) remain unsaved until that field is left..)

- If You're the 'boss' (the host) and You crash Your machine for whatever reason, clients will loose the connection, unsaved data lost

- If You are doing some heavy work on Your machine (loong actions in FM, graphics programm, movies,), clients will suffer of poor performance

- If You wan't to leave Your office, You can't shut down Your machine until Your colleagues quit th db

- If You're away...

- etc...

• 12. Re: Hosting an external database via Filemaker pro - sharing issues
                                nigeldunkley

I think this explains it pretty much:

https://hbase.net/2013/03/13/filemaker-how-to-setup-a-network-router-for-filemaker-remote-access/

But Im still unclear about the diff between FM server and Pro for under 5 clients / users.

Appreciate all the help

N

• 14. Re: Hosting an external database via Filemaker pro - sharing issues
                                  Mike_Mitchell

More words:

Performance

Stability

Data integrity

Use … FileMaker … Server.

1 2 Previous Next