1 2 Previous Next 17 Replies Latest reply on Jun 11, 2016 6:51 AM by beverly

PHP VS. Java

Kirk_1

What is the difference between the functionality of PHP and Java inquiries to FM?

Are they the same but different languages or is there a benefit to using one over the other?

Can anything be populated on a web site or are they inquiry only?

For example on an e-commerice site... do i have to store past inquires on the "web site" or  is there a way to view the FM data like a portal in FM?

• 1. Re: PHP VS. Java
          mikebeargie

PHP can use the PHP API for filemaker, which uses the web publishing engine.

Java uses JDBC, which requires a connection to be configured and drivers installed to the filemaker database.

Both support create/edit/delete operations with filemaker data. The PHP API also supports other things like the execution of scripts and more complex logical functions.

For e-commerce, PHP is probably the way to go. You can call and parse your data in realtime, no need to store or cache data on the web side.

• 2. Re: PHP VS. Java
            beverly

"capacity" may be the difference:

xDBC is 'tested' to 50

CWP (php) is 'tested' to 200

In 'real world' these may be more depending on various factors.

PHP can use the FileMaker API for PHP or even the ODBC or XML without the API.

My first advice is to USE WHAT YOU KNOW. If you have a web app that uses the xDBC, then that goes into the "+" column. If you know PHP and can step outside the API for functions that might be needed, use that.

Because it is "WEB", you can optimize a website so that the bulk of the work is the HTML/CSS/JavaScript and very little inter-action with the actual database. Using PHP functions rather than FM calculations or scripts, perhaps? Pushing "value lists" off to includes, perhaps? optimizing images (as always) will help. The very design of the web site can play a big factor, regardless of DB used in the "backend".

beverly

• 3. Re: PHP VS. Java
              ggt667

These days javascript is more common on the web; not because it's better than php or java( both of these are backend ) But because javascript is both frontend( angular, knockout, ember, backbone, etc ) and backend( NodeJS( can also call the XML RPC of CWP or xDBC ) ) it is easier to write and maintain the same language across the stack.

• 4. Re: PHP VS. Java
                beverly

absolutely, ggt667! AJAX can be good for all kinds of things, But JavaScript doesn't have the hooks into the data, so you still need something to query a database.

beverly

• 5. Re: PHP VS. Java
                  ggt667

NodeJS w/express can do this on the server side.

• 6. Re: PHP VS. Java
                    beverly

Awesome! do you have some links to documentation?

beverly

• 7. Re: PHP VS. Java
                      ggt667

I'm not sure of the status of the project, but this type of module should really be able to do the job: GitHub - baalexander/node-xmlrpc: A pure JavaScript XML-RPC client and server for Node.js. You only want the client part for querying FMS CWP and express for serving REST API to the front end JS.

... or one can write own calls using HTTP Node.js v6.2.1 Manual & Documentation

And here it looks like somebody made a complete angular fm implementation: GitHub - 360works/fmangular: FileMaker tools for Angular

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: PHP VS. Java
                        alfred1963

Do a Npm search for filemaker

NodeJS has a lot to offer… it defiantly is the way to go…

I think it offers more then PHP its where my energy is going.

@toddgeist

www.npmjs.com/~toddgeist

• 9. Re: PHP VS. Java
                          ggt667

More is not necessarily better; usually less is more. The most important thing is availability of useful examples.

• 10. Re: PHP VS. Java
                            alfred1963

Yes less is better and more dificult in some ways. Still you have to like on what part of the software system stack nodeJs works less is better so doing it all in JavaScript (fixed up and modernised, backbone and client) is a great idea and a positive challange for a FM developer.

• 11. Re: PHP VS. Java
                              ggt667

My choice in that way has been AngularJS and NodeJS. I'm a bit hesitant about the TypeScript requirement of AngularJS 2 so I might jump to a different framework unless there is suddenly a just as friendly ECMA version popping up eventually.

Something that compiles to javascript such as TypeScript or coffee script takes away from the simplicity of relating to 1 language in my opinion.

• 12. Re: PHP VS. Java
                                alfred1963

hi again,

Still trying to work all that  out Sails seems to offer rather complete structure and great documentation to go with it.

I was happy to get into FileMaker in 2000 it was a great juice back then however NodeJS is exiting and fresh even compared to php, the idea of JavaScript across the board is great even if currently all that cross- compiling is a real pain, makes it hard to learn. It's a fast moving target with lots of rough edges.

Thanks for the feedback on an important topic.

Sent from my iPad

• 13. Re: PHP VS. Java
                                  alfred1963

What's your editor I seem to lean towards Atom

Again to many choices!

Sent from my iPad

• 14. Re: PHP VS. Java
                                    ggt667

There has been only 1 - one real text editor for me since I started using text editors in 1991 or so; I have tried others, there are many good ones, however vim is not a text editor it's a fully configurable developer environment. I have been lead into "heathen" activity throughout, such as CodeWarrior( Mac Classic, ) XCode( MacOS X, ) CygnusEd( AmigaOS ) and BBEdit Lite.

The people who wrote vim claims it's a text synthesizer.

Some people say it's a good choice not to use it as pr say... as it's "old" and "dated" then again yet it's the best tool out there to get the job done IMO.

Of the GUI editors I have tried Notepadqq, Notepad++, BBEdit Lite, TextMate, and Microsoft VS Code; not to mention my all time favorite Fraise, but all of them lack the functions I have in vim :-(

Yet those are all good for editing config files...

There is a really nice tool for the Mac though; in the case of working with XML it's called XMpLify

1 2 Previous Next