5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 13, 2016 12:19 AM by bigtom

Multi-user deletion management

MrBond

Hi,

what is the best approach to solve the task of programming a multi-user deletion management?

User A may click on a delete button (to delete the current record or a related record), after that another User B gets a message that User A wants to delete the record or a related record and User B confirms or declines this request.

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Multi-user deletion management
          siplus

If user A is allowed to delete records, user B has to swallow it.

Otherwise we go into a spiral of logging delete requests that have to be approved, checking if current user has access to setting the approval to yes and committing the delete, etc.

Plus consider what happens if user B logs in only once per week.

Plus consider what user A thinks about not being able to finalise his intents.

----

A well-designed interface displays only the things I am allowed to do.

If it displays a greyed-out button which is grey because I don't have enough rights to unleash the power behind it, it fails.

If it displays a normal button and I click on it and I am told that the inferior being encased into my skin is not allowed to issue its power, it fails.

If it becomes gray because it says "export records" and no records are found, then it's legit (and you are allowed to be sarcastic, in my book "no patient records found, would you like to export our Santa Claus record ?").

If it is displayed and I can click it, it f'ing should do what it's supposed to do, no if, no when, no while. Just do it.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Multi-user deletion management
            MrBond

Hi,

thanks for your reply.

I'm in the situation that the customer is requesting this feature.

Actually User A should not have delete rights. He should have the rights to send delete requests. User B confirms this request and the record is being deleted with this confirmation. Actually there are several User B as well as several User A.

Is a solution possible?

• 3. Re: Multi-user deletion management
              siplus

Sure, it is.

The record has a flag (a field), MarkedForDeletion, numeric, 0 or 1, born with (autoenter) 0.

This flag can be set to 1 by level A users.

Level B users can get anytime a list of marked records. And delete them.

• 4. Re: Multi-user deletion management
                MrBond

Hi,

thanks! It's easier than I thought. *thumbsup*

• 5. Re: Multi-user deletion management
                  bigtom

siplus wrote:

Sure, it is.

The record has a flag (a field), MarkedForDeletion, numeric, 0 or 1, born with (autoenter) 0.

This flag can be set to 1 by level A users.

Level B users can get anytime a list of marked records. And delete them.

This is pretty much how I would do this as well.