12 Replies Latest reply on Jun 13, 2016 7:35 PM by schamblee

Strange Face with FMPA15

rickaltman

I'm excited to be exploring version 15, but it began with a thud, not a bang: a strange typeface has crept into my database. In various places of an otherwise steady and long-maintained file, a symbol-like face named Z@R8BB9.tmp has infiltrated numerous elements. If it were simply that I had to edit my layouts a bit, I would chalk it up to an annoyance. But as you can see in the attached screen image, portal labels and tabs have also been assigned to this face, and I have no idea how to change those.

Any idea what is going on here? I don't mind doing a reinstall, if that is the best course of action here.

Rick A.

Pleasanton CA

• 1. Re: Strange Face with FMPA15
          mikebeargie

Are you by chance using windows 10?

It seems like Segoe is a default menu UI font for windows.

You can disable it (replace it) with something more universal like Tahoma by editing the registry:

How do I change Windows 10 fonts? - Super User

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Fonts]

"Segoe UI (TrueType)"=""
          "Segoe UI Bold (TrueType)"=""
          "Segoe UI Bold Italic (TrueType)"=""
          "Segoe UI Italic (TrueType)"=""
          "Segoe UI Light (TrueType)"=""
          "Segoe UI Semibold (TrueType)"=""
          "Segoe UI Symbol (TrueType)"=""

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\FontSubstitutes]

"Segoe UI"="Tahoma"

Reinstalling filemaker will most likely not solve your issue, since it's with the windows OS itself.

• 2. Re: Strange Face with FMPA15
            User26869

Hi Rick,

It looks like a font issue to me, I recently saw something similar at a client running FMP14 on a Windows machine. Have you tried changing the font used for these labels? As simple as it sounds it worked for me.

Chloe

• 3. Re: Strange Face with FMPA15
              schamblee

This is a known issue.  It was reported a few times with FMP14.  I did not have the issue with FMPA 14 32bit.   I installed FMPA 15 64bit and had two databases with garbage fonts.   I removed FMPA 15 64bit and Installed FMPA 15 32bit and I have not had the issue again.

The only way to fix is to change the font to a real font.

Font Changes on Layout

• 4. Re: Strange Face with FMPA15
                mikebeargie

Not sure if that would work since it's in the embedded labels as well (EG portal name in layout mode). The REGEDIT I suggested would be a system-wide change.

Hi Rick,

It looks like a font issue to me, I recently saw something similar at a client running FMP14 on a Windows machine. Have you tried changing the font used for these labels? As simple as it sounds it worked for me.

Chloe

• 5. Re: Strange Face with FMPA15
                  rickaltman

Yes, Mike, I am using Windows 10, and my use of Segoe UI is intentional. Not only do I allow Windows to use it for its interface, I choose it for most display text in my work, including all slides in PowerPoint, online documents in Word, and yes, most layouts in FileMaker.

So while Win10 might be the culprit in all of this somehow, I am not interested in eliminating Segoe. It has been a stable face for many years. As I investigate this further, it appears that this strange .tmp face steps up in place of bold text. That face named Z@R8BB9.tmp is not actually installed under Windows; FileMaker 15 has introduced it somehow.

• 6. Re: Strange Face with FMPA15
                    User26869

Yes indeed mikebeargie, I didn't pay enough attention to the attached image!

Thanks for pointing this out!

• 7. Re: Strange Face with FMPA15
                      schamblee

In my databases that changed, I was using Tahoma.  

I only had this issue with FM and not any other software.

• 8. Re: Strange Face with FMPA15
                        rickaltman

Thanks to all -- the link that schamblee shared advised me to delete the font cache and that did indeed do the trick. The other solution proffered here is to switch to the 32-bit version of the software, and that has me curious about why I went with the 64-bit version in the first place. So allow me to hijack my own thread:

That decision was based on the simple recommendation of matching up with the architecture of my OS (Win10 64). What are the pros and cons of 32- and 64-bit versions?

• 9. Re: Strange Face with FMPA15
                          schamblee

The simple answer is speed.    Cons :  FM64bit requires 64bit plugins, other software that FM interfaces with such as outlook should also be the same bit version.  Both  FM and outlook should be 64bit or both 32bit.

The speed difference may not even be that noticeable with most users.

64-bit architecture provides more and wider general-purpose registers, which contribute to greater overall application speed. When there are more registers, there is less need to write persistent data to memory and then have to read it back just a few instructions later. Function calls are also faster in a 64-bit environment because as many as four arguments at a time can be passed in registers to a function.

It was a major pain to fix the two databases, so I'm going to stay with the 32bit version for a while.  Until FM states the issue has been fixed or until FMP 16 comes out then I will test again with smaller databases.

I don't know for a fact that it had anything to do with the  64bit version.  I just know I ran only FMPA 14 32bit and did not have the issue.   I figured that the 64 bit should be ready (less bugs) in the FMPA15, so I installed it and the first two databases I opened had the garbage fonts and so I went back to 32bit and the issue has not occurred again.

• 10. Re: Strange Face with FMPA15
                            rickaltman

Thank you! The area most relevant here is the whole Outlook Server Busy problem. That problem persisted through v15 and that compelled me to go down to FMPA15 32-bit, and that whole problem went away...

• 11. Re: Strange Face with FMPA15
                              jormond

Did you try clearing the font cache? We ran into the same problem with 14. Clearing the font cache file and restarting both FM and Windows fixed the issue.

• 12. Re: Strange Face with FMPA15
                                schamblee

Yes, I clear the font cache.

Something corrupted the font cache.  I never had the issue with FMPA 14, but I only ran the 32bit version.   In FMPA 15 I installed the 64bit version then I had two databases affected.