14 Replies Latest reply on Jun 14, 2016 4:29 AM by Mike_Mitchell

Need: Automatically process FM database to PDF from outside

Mike_Mitchell

Good day. I have a colleague who has been given the task of automating a conversion of packages of documents to PDF. Such documents may include Word, Excel, HTML, and, sometimes, FileMaker. He's using a product called Adlib Enterprise Software for Content Standardization and Classification | Adlib Software. Talking with their tech support people, they've never heard of FileMaker, and, naturally, the package throws an error as soon as it encounters the database.

To make matters worse, this colleague does not have full access to the database files (they're being provided from the end user). I'm not aware of any method for reaching into a database, held locally, from the outside and executing a script. The only thing I've been able to come up with at this point is to host the databases and use a URL protocol, which would be difficult because the documents have been embedded inside a COTS package routing application. The end users are "filling out a form" rather than entering data into a database in order to comply with the requirement that all documentation be attached to the work package. Therefore, they don't think of it in terms of a record; it's a form you fill out (which just happens to be a FileMaker database).

Is anyone aware of any way this might be automated?

TIA

Mike