1 2 Previous Next 23 Replies Latest reply on Jul 28, 2016 7:36 AM by deffi

File Won't Close on Client

hschlossberg

For the third time in the past two weeks, now on two totally different files that are hosted on totally different servers, I have witnessed an issue where a file won't close and that keeps the FMPA application from closing.

I will privately send TSGal a couple videos, one with opening/closing scripts and the other without.  The results are the same either way, but the one with scripts allows us to step through things on the debugger and on data viewer.

The file shows on the Window > Show Window menu, in parenthesis as though it has not been opened in a window before.  The WindowNames() function shows nothing open, though DatabaseNames does show the one file.  If I select the hidden window to appear, it does appear through the opening script and the closing script and then it hides itself again.  If I remove the opening and closing scripts, the window flashes for a second and then hides itself again.

Again, this would not seem to be file-specific since I've now seen it on two different files, and it cannot be easily replicated as the vast majority of time it works properly.  But it has happened three times in two weeks and requires a force-quit.

• 1. Re: File Won't Close on Client
          BeatriceBeaubien

Hi Howard,

Interesting.

Not that I think this is relevant to your issue, but could you share the client version (with OS) info with server version (with OS) for each of the three failures? It would provide data points in the event someone else encounters this.

Thanking you.

Best,

Beatrice

• 2. Re: File Won't Close on Client
            hschlossberg

Beatrice Beaubien wrote:

Not that I think this is relevant to your issue, but could you share the client version (with OS) info with server version (with OS) for each of the three failures? It would provide data points in the event someone else encounters this.

Of course; I should have done that from the start.  The client is WIndows 7 (64 bit) running FMPA 15.  The server on one of those files is FMS 13.0v5 and the other is FMS 14.0v4.  Both servers are Windows machines, though I don't have immediate access to the OS versions.

• 3. Re: File Won't Close on Client
              TSPigeon

hschlossberg:

Thank you for your post!

I was able to retrieve the videos you sent in. It doesn't look like there is a OnWindowClose Triggering or anything. You clearly state a Close Window Script Step. I am unable to reproduce this issue.

You seem to have been able to reproduce consistently once the issue occurred. Is there any chance we could get a file where this issue occurs or access to your hosted file? You may email any confidential information to the same address you sent the videos.

TSPigeon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: File Won't Close on Client
                hschlossberg

At 00:18 in the video, the OnWindowClose is triggered.

Yes, I was able to reproduce it consistently once the issue occurred, but I have found no particular cause for it to initially occur.  In other words, it is not easily reproducible; it just happens in the course of using the files and who knows what scripts or windowing or actions took place before that point.  If you are looking for a particular internal flag or something as evidence, then I'll see what I can do to get you access.  But if you are expecting to just open the file and reproduce the problem after playing with it for a few minutes or hours, you will be disappointed.

Howard

• 5. Re: File Won't Close on Client
                  TSPigeon

hschlossberg:

I understand. I will send this information to Testing and Development for further feedback. I do think they will find it useful to access the hosted file or get a sample, if possible.

TSPigeon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: File Won't Close on Client
                    deffi

I have the exact same problem in one of my databases. The problem only occurs once a specific layout was opened once. The database is then not closed correctly and only hidden. Closing the Filemaker client doesn't work. Very strange behaviour, I hope a solution is found soon.

• 7. Re: File Won't Close on Client
                      TSPigeon

deffi:

This issue has not yet been reproduced. Would it be possible to get a copy/clone of the file with instruction to reproduce? I am sending a private message to your inbox for instructions.

TSPigeon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 8. Re: File Won't Close on Client
                        deffi

Thanks for your reply. I've sent you a copy of my database.

I just noticed that this problem seems to be with one of my layouts. It contains a faulty object that I've already reported in another thread here: Copying and pasting several layout objects produces faulty layouts

Could it be a faulty layout object that prevents Filemaker from closing? Just a thought!

• 9. Re: File Won't Close on Client
                          deffi

Any news on this? Has the issue been reproduced?

• 10. Re: File Won't Close on Client
                            TSPigeon

deffi:

Apologies for not responding sooner. I've still been working with this. I continue receiving a crash after one of the following conditions:

-double-click an item from list view

-double-click an item from list view and then close the new window

The files don't report damaged when running a Recover. So far, haven't been to reproduce due to this crashing. I will post back here when further information is available.

TSPigeon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 11. Re: File Won't Close on Client
                              ron.harris

New to FMP but...

is it possible that there is a circular reference in you scripts/triggers?  When it appears hung, have you tried pressing ESC? 

Ron Harris

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                              • 12. Re: File Won't Close on Client
                                deffi

No, that unfortunately doesn't work either. There's no script running; the script debugger doesn't show anything and disabling all script triggers doesn't fix it either. It does indeed seem to be a corrupt file.

• 13. Re: File Won't Close on Client
                                  deffi

That's interesting, to say the least. Are you testing on Mac or on Windows? Running on Windows here.

• 14. Re: File Won't Close on Client
                                    TSPigeon

I have tried on both Windows 7 Pro and Mac OS X 10.10.5. Perhaps something happened to the file during it's upload to Google Drive? Would you want to try uploading it again and sending me the new link?

TSPigeon

FileMaker, Inc.

1 2 Previous Next