5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 17, 2016 7:26 AM by michaelpren

Finding range of numbers, help?

michaelpren

Hi all,

I am trying to use the find function in Filemaker Pro to find a range of numbers, but I only care about the last 4 digits of the 7 digit numbers I am dealing with.  So, the first 3 digits of the 7 digit numbers I want to find do not matter.  I tried searching in my intended field using "###4120..###4260" for example, but the find request did not work.  I see that you can search ranges with ".." or "..." but it seems like my "#" symbols are messing this up somehow.  Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you!

• 1. Re: Finding range of numbers, help?
          StephenWonfor

Michael

This make not make the "approved" column but a calculation field = right(YourNumberField;4) would allow searching - make sure to store the value.

Stephen

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Finding range of numbers, help?
            michaelpren

Hi Stephen,

Thank you for your response!  I'm sorry if I seem like a huge beginner (I am!), but would my number field be the "###4120..###4260" I was talking about above?  And how would I go about storing a value?

Thank you very much for your help, I really appreciate it.

Michael

Edit: I think I see what you're saying now.  I'm trying to search a number field, but if I made that field a calculation field I could search it how I want to?

• 3. Re: Finding range of numbers, help?
              StephenWonfor

Michael

Basically yes.  If your NumberField contains "403123321" then the stored calculation _cnNumberField = right(NumberField;4) would return "3321".  Set field to return data of type "number" and the storage for the calculation to be "Indexing = All" and then do your search on that field.  eg. "3321...3467".

Stephen

btw "_cn" tells me that the field is calculated and returns data of type number. "_ct" would tell me the field is calculated and the data type is text.

• 4. Re: Finding range of numbers, help?
                user19752

Find using # is slow since it can't use index, so the calculation field is useful for the OP's case not only finding range.

(I wonder #3 found 03, but after thinking a bit, is is not so wonderful)

• 5. Re: Finding range of numbers, help?
                  michaelpren

Thank you!  Look like it worked.  I now have a field that is drawing the last 4 digits from the number field I chose, so I can sort and search how I want to.

Cheers!