1 2 Previous Next 17 Replies Latest reply on Jun 21, 2016 6:26 AM by CarlSchwarz

Fm slow to start on remote connection

bimsickle

I have a db that I have been building in fm13 and hosting on fm14server.

When connecting to the hosted db on the local network, from login to landing page (within the file) is pretty snappy.

however, when connecting to the same hosted db from outside of the local network it takes just over a full minute after login before the first script fires and opens the db (ran script debugger to check for a dodgy script).

i have other files on the server which connect quickly.

ran a file check on a copy of the hosted file and it found zero problems.

Any ideas what might be causing the delay, and things I can check to solve this issue.

• 1. Re: Fm slow to start on remote connection
          TSPigeon

bimsickle:

Thank you for your post!

Slowness like this could be caused by slow upload on the Server Network, slow download on the Client Network, Packet Loss, Network Security, Hardware, etc. You might out Optimizing network performance for shared databases for some tips.

TSPigeon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Fm slow to start on remote connection
            bigtom

I have never had it take that long. I would say you have some decent amount of processing or data transfer happening at login or on the first layout or you WAN connection is just really poor. Have you tested you ping and connection speeds Up/Down at both ends.

What does your startup script look like? Are you making ODBC connections on the first layout? Are there a lot of clacs, sorts, large number of records on the first layout?

• 3. Re: Fm slow to start on remote connection
              RickWhitelaw

The fact that this file takes forever on WAN but others open quickly I would say indicates this is something to do with the file and not the connection. I realized something a while ago regarding a certain file in my busines solution. The file is almost never opened directly but by other files and a small found set is loaded. When it's opened directly over WAN on my iPad it loads all records. Doesn't take long at all. But the OnLastWindowClose script checks and maybe processes ALL records and this can take minutes. So now when the file is opened directly I make sure to have a found set right away. Closing is now quick. Just an example of what an opening or closing script can make. It had me scratching my head and blaming the network before I saw what was in fact happening.

• 4. Re: Fm slow to start on remote connection
                StephenWonfor

bimsickle

In general I note that UPLOAD (what the FMServer is pushing) is generally 5 to 10 times slower than download on most ISPs (I type from Canada).  My clients pay large$ for upload at the server end, download becomes a non-factor.  And there is merit in having your startup script go to a table with one record  - eg, a PREFERENCES table.   I recall somewhere that entering FIND at the head of the opener routine is a cool way to get connected quickly - though that may have been a dream.

Stephen

"Yeah we all shine on, like the moon, and the stars, and the sun." ~ John Lennon

• 5. Re: Fm slow to start on remote connection
                  RickWhitelaw

Indeed. An enter find mode step at the beginning of an opener script, followed by a find request and perform find, prevents the file from loading all records.

• 6. Re: Fm slow to start on remote connection
                    bigtom

Usually an ISP will offer a "Server" plan that is a little bit more than a normal service package. I have somehting like this and my upload is generally always 20% faster than my download at the server. With my download speed averaging around 500Mbps I have no complaints about the service for the price.

• 7. Re: Fm slow to start on remote connection
                      bigtom

RickWhitelaw wrote:

The fact that this file takes forever on WAN but others open quickly I would say indicates this is something to do with the file and not the connection.

A poor connection can be an issue. I would say that it could be that the file is the problem because it is not optimized for a slow connection or the connection is not good enough to work with the way the file is built. Same issue, different perspective.

If the WAN connection is bad at the server, changes in the file might not make a difference. I have seen LAN speeds of 300+Mbps that work nicely and a WAN upload at the server of less than 10Mbps. Sometimes client download speeds are less than 5Mbps. The LAN and WAN speeds are not really connected. In these cases the connection needs to be fixed and it is usually just an issue of money to fix it. Maybe a better modem or router. I saw one router that was rated at 1.3Gbps and it had horrible WAN speed. Turns out the rating was a LAN speed and the WAN connection was limited to less than 150Mbps.

• 8. Re: Fm slow to start on remote connection
                        RickWhitelaw

Your reasoning does not account for the difference in load times between files. This is what I'm pointing at.

• 9. Re: Fm slow to start on remote connection
                          CarlSchwarz

When a file is opened a few things download to the client first like all the scripts, the database schema, and I also think the default layout.

Do you have something large somewhere like a script with a novel embedded in it?  Or perhaps a large image on the default layout?

• 10. Re: Fm slow to start on remote connection
                            bigtom

RickWhitelaw wrote:

Your reasoning does not account for the difference in load times between files. This is what I'm pointing at.

I understand this, but without knowing what is going on with how simple the other files might be it is hard to say. Still a bit of a mystery until the OP provides a little more info.

• 11. Re: Fm slow to start on remote connection
                              bimsickle

Thanks heaps everyone for all of your input.

(moving over the weekend and didn't have the internet....)

So the first layout has 7 global fields, no found set or large images.

This file takes between 55-70 seconds to open whereas another one hosted on the same server takes 17 seconds which is an artwork files file and has many externally stored files.

I haven't checked the ping as I haven't been in the office to do so.

I have tried disabling the startup script, creating a new layout to land on of one empty record with one field, not faster.

I do have one very large script, which I deleted from my copy of the file and it still takes 55 seconds.

I have 3 privilege sets, and 3 groups of TO for each set.

Once the file is open, there really aren't any speed issues that I wouldn't expect. Like sorting 6000 records remotely is a bad idea, but I am the only one of 25 users that would do that. (At this point only 7 use the file throughout the day over LAN with the rest getting access next Tuesday to use on WAN!!

I don't mind brutalising my copy of the file to find the problem, but a more strategic approach would be better.

• 12. Re: Fm slow to start on remote connection
                                bigtom

It is really sounding like a connection issue if you are disabling most of the startup script, having a test layout with one field on it and nothing else in that table.

You might find you just need a better outbound connection at your server or a better connection at your clients.

You can always ping your server from your location, but it is a combination of ping and bandwidth.

• 13. Re: Fm slow to start on remote connection
                                  bimsickle

The file closes quickly, and loads onto a table with a few global fields. No sorting on load.

• 14. Re: Fm slow to start on remote connection
                                    gdurniak

Connecting by WAN reveals all the inefficiencies of a file

Your file is either downloading a lot, or looking for a link ( that may be missing ). This can take forever

e.g.  if you have a calculated field,  that uses related data,  all the related data must be downloaded ( since you tried a blank layout, this is not likely )

How big is each file ?  is the slow file much larger ?  e.g. it is possible your slow file is bloated with hidden junk. Did you run a full Recover ?

Try saving the file as compacted ( smaller )

greg

> This file takes between 55-70 seconds to open whereas another one hosted on the same server takes 17 seconds

> ran a file check on a copy of the hosted file and it found zero problems

1 2 Previous Next