2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 17, 2016 6:38 AM by coherentkris

Is this the correct way

gijeetyahoo

I spent over an hour tweaking a layout, it’s context is a customer table so all the fields are customer details and the portal shows invoices for that customer.  My client loves it and wanted me to do the same for vendors so I duplicated the layout and went in and changed all the fields from Customer:: (colon colon) to Vendor:: and he loves that also.  So he asked me to do the same for Employee so again I duplicated the layout and wet in and changed all the fields from Vendor:: to Employee::  Then he wanted me to do that for several more layouts.  Now he wants to make a change to the layouts.  Do I have to go back into each and ever layout to make the change?  Was this the correct way? Is there a better way?   thanks

• 1. Re: Is this the correct way
          DanielShanahan

It depends on:

1. what changes are requested.

2. what version of FileMaker you are using.

If the change is something like

• Change the font to Arial

• Change the alternate portal row to bright blue

• Add field borders to all the fields

AND

If you are using FMP/FMPA 14 or 15, then you can make the change using Styles and it will permeate throughout the solution (provided you are using the same Theme for all the layouts).

However, if the changes are something like:

• Move the portal more to the right

• Make the field 24 pt in height

etc.

Then yes, you'll need to do this on each layout.

• 2. Re: Is this the correct way
            coherentkris

yes. changes to layouts, other than use of themes/styles for object formatting, do not automatically propagate to other layouts