3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 17, 2016 11:01 AM by MechEngrGirl

Creating new record = warning message "Only one option can be selected"

MechEngrGirl

Hello,

I'm running FileMaker Pro Advance 14 on a Windows 7 machine.

When trying to create a new record I get a warning message "Only one option can be selected" when I try to commit the record. After selecting "OK" the message states "Revert all changes to this record since it was later entered?" At this point I enter an endless loop, unless I select "Revert."

Does anyone have a solution to this issue?

Thank you for your time!

WP

• 1. Re: Creating new record = warning message "Only one option can be selected"
          SteveMartino

Hard to know for sure without seeing the file.  I suspect the first message is some kind of validation, either by script, or script trigger or validation calculation.

"Only one option can be selected"...one option of what?  If you figure this out you wont get the second message.  Watch the process with the script debugger first to see if there are any script triggers firing.

Then look at the options for each field, on the validation tab to see if there is something tripping you up.

Posting a sample file would help too.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Creating new record = warning message "Only one option can be selected"
            coherentkris

This could be a coupe of things:

The New Record command could be performing a scripted validation via Custom Menu Item settings.

The field could have validation parameters set in manage database.

The UI could be responding to a script trigger.

Open up the field in manage database and check the field definition for validation conditions.

The warning your seeing might show up as a custom message in response to a value count of the data in the field > 1.

If this is the origin then the Allow user to override checkbox is empty and forcing you to revert.

Checking this checkbox will present the user with a choice to revert or continue.

You should understand why revert is the only option before allowing the continue.

To check for triggers or custom menu scripts follow Steve's suggestion with the debugger

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Creating new record = warning message "Only one option can be selected"
              MechEngrGirl

Thank you everyone!!  I finally found the culprit!!  A field way at the end of the list!

Thanks again!

WP