6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 20, 2016 5:04 AM by beverly

storing Apple Emails into a container field

tgbolwerk

Hi everyone,

I am a newbie and need help.

I am trying to create a FM solution that will allow me to drop Apple emails into container fields associated with a project record.

I would like to be able to double-click on the apple email in the container and then have it open in Apple mail.

Any ideas how I can do this??

Thanks!

Tim B.

• 1. Re: storing Apple Emails into a container field
          DonCollier

This is not a simple as it might first seem.  

The first part, dropping apple emails into a continuer.   This seems simple enough as you can drag and drop them but not as fas as I have managed from the mail application itself only from the original email file with is in a folder stored deep in areas you don't want ordinary users to get.

The second part getting the email to open from within filemaker i have not managed to do simply by clicking and the issues start to get wider.

First of all if you put and actual copy of the email into FileMaker then to make it open you need to export it and open it by using a script. If you just store a reference then it will only work on that machine.

None the above will handle attachments

Perhaps better would be to use a plug in that works with mac mail so you can have more control and store the email in text other than as an image. There are a number of them each with different benefits for different uses.

• 2. Re: storing Apple Emails into a container field
            PeterWindle

I would have thought that there might have been a way to access the "notifications" text/hyperlinks?? This would be ideal if it's possible

• 3. Re: storing Apple Emails into a container field
              keywords

An email is really just text. You could copy this into a text field in your database. If you use select all the content you want from an email, then while it is selected you can drag and drop direct into a FM text field. I guess it depends how extensive your need is, and how automated you want the process to be.

• 4. Re: storing Apple Emails into a container field
                PeterWindle

most emails are html and have attachments though. There are plugins which display emails within FileMaker Pro, but nothing native that I'm aware of. Keep in mind also different formats, like Exchange email. This may require a different plugin.

• 5. Re: storing Apple Emails into a container field
                  beverly

"text", yes. one should study this to understand what email is (or should be):

Multipurpose Internet Mail Extensions

(MIME) Part One:

Format of Internet Message Bodies

beverly

storing Apple Emails into a container field

reply from keywords in Discussions - View the full discussion

An email is really just text. You could copy this into a text field in your database. If you use select all the content you want from an email, then while it is selected you can drag and drop direct into a FM text field. I guess it depends how extensive your need is, and how automated you want the process to be.

Reply to this message by replying to this email, or go to the message on FileMaker Community

Start a new discussion in Discussions by email or at FileMaker Community

Following Discussions in these streams: Connections Stream

Following keywords in these streams: Connections Stream

Manage your email preferences

FileMaker Developer Conference 2016 • Las Vegas, Nevada • July 18-21 • www.filemaker.com/devcon

>

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: storing Apple Emails into a container field
                    beverly

HTML is text, too, Peter.

& the 'attachments' are binary encoded (text)

See my previous post (& link) for what is in an email message (body). There are a lot of hidden parts to email as well. If you care to study the SMTP and POP, it can be quite complex.

The plugins are very helpful with integrating email with FileMaker!

beverly