13 Replies Latest reply on Jun 22, 2016 3:56 PM by karina

Pick different material in portal

andresen

I have  an order table where I want to pick the material and also the width of the material. For example: Coated paper and that are ability in different width. (650 , 830, 930, 1030 and so on. (mm).

I have tried to get this material in same table, but it is lot of the same name, for example: Coated paper 650, Coated paper 830 and so on.

I would like to pick the type of paper and then the width of it. All done in the order layout.

It looks like this in relations: order----order_product-----product

It's in product I have all the material. I have tried to make a portal in Order layout and that works when I have material and width in same name, but I want to pic the material first and then the width. If I pic coated paper then I don't know the width I get if they are in same table/post.

If I do it the new way can I still get the in stock value for my status?

• 1. Re: Pick different material in portal
          DanielShanahan

Andresen,

This sounds to me like a product variants.  You could add a field to the product table such as:

PRODUCT::productFamily

In your example, this might be "Coated Paper".  Setting up a picker in a popover or modal window, the user can first select the product family which would limit the options in the list.  So in your example the user would only see Coated Paper 650, Coated Paper 830, etc.

• 2. Re: Pick different material in portal
            siplus

You must end up with a valid productID in your portal line.

You can assign to every product a ProdCategory, like "Coated Paper" and a ProdSize, like "850".

On both of these fields, shown as popups, you can have a OnModify trigger that will determine the ProductID via ExecuteSQL.

You can use conditional formatting on both and turn them white text on red background if ValueCount(CalculatedProductIDList) <> 1.

For showing just the available size in ProdSize when the ProdCategory has been selected, google for "Conditional Value List Filemaker".

• 3. Re: Pick different material in portal
              andresen

siplus skrev:

You must end up with a valid productID in your portal line.

You can assign to every product a ProdCategory, like "Coated Paper" and a ProdSize, like "850".

On both of these fields, shown as popups, you can have a OnModify trigger that will determine the ProductID via ExecuteSQL.

You can use conditional formatting on both and turn them white text on red background if ValueCount(CalculatedProductIDList) <> 1.

For showing just the available size in ProdSize when the ProdCategory has been selected, google for "Conditional Value List Filemaker".

Thanks!

How to get the right productID in portal is the big ???

In my product list I have made it like category and size. I'm thorn if I won't the result of my picking to be shown in a portal row. In every order I can only have one material and one size! If I pick them in this conditional value list then its done?

For me I don't need to see the portal row but only the material and size i pick. And I was thinking that I needed a portal row for then I can use some calculation on how much I have in stock of that material.

ExecuteSQL i'm afraid off... i have one in my layout and is was nothing I invented by my self...

Some lead how you can set it up could be helpful.

• 4. Re: Pick different material in portal
                siplus

say you are on a line of order_product, and displaying order_product::ProdCategory and order_product::ProdSize.

Your OnModify script will look like this (assuming you've got only one portal on that layout):

SetVariable [ $CurPortalLine; Get ( ActivePortalRowNumber )]

SetField [order_product::ProductID; ExecuteSQL("SELECT productID FROM Products WHERE ProdCategory = ? AND ProdSize = ?";"";""; order_product::ProdCategory; order_product::ProdSize) ]

Commit records/Requests

Go to Portal Row [ Select ; No dialog ; $CurPortalLine ]

• 5. Re: Pick different material in portal
                  karina

Hi,

Do you also have a stock table with a lot number or barcode for the paper rolls?

• 6. Re: Pick different material in portal
                    andresen

In the portal I have in my Order layout, the portal should be based on order_product table? or product table? From order only order_product table is related. Is this right?

Should the two fields ProdCategory and ProdSize be in order_product or only in product as I have it now?

Fields ProdCategory and ProdSize are now only in product table.

In the layout; can I have the two fields in regular fields (popups) or must they be inside the portal as popups?

The portal I thinking of is only one row. ( Material) portal row.tiff

• 7. Re: Pick different material in portal
                      andresen

In the portal I want to see the in stock I have. We don't use barcodes yet... When we get paper/material I will put in the length of every roll so I get a number how much I have in stock. And when I put in a order it should retract the length of the job with the in stock.

• 8. Re: Pick different material in portal
                        karina

The material should be in a material table with a unique material ID.

The width of the material should be in the stock table.

If you want I can make you a sample file tomorrow evening.

• 9. Re: Pick different material in portal
                          siplus

You can have popups that store the ID but show values from second field.

• 10. Re: Pick different material in portal
                            andresen

Please do so I can see what you mean.

The width of material can be the same for different material.

• 11. Re: Pick different material in portal
                              andresen

Yes, I know that but is rest of the questions ok?

What happens if I get two portal in same layout? One for the material and width and one for another material that we use sometime?

The portals then pick from the same table but different category.

• 12. Re: Pick different material in portal
                                DanielShanahan

andresen wrote:

I have tried to get this material in same table, but it is lot of the same name, for example: Coated paper 650, Coated paper 830 and so on

Yes, it is a lot of the same name.  Nonetheless, you will need one item record for each SKU or individual product that you sell:

Item_List.png

I would like to pick the type of paper and then the width of it. All done in the order layout.

You can use a popover to pick the item.  The popover would contain a portal and you can filter that portal in multiple ways.  In the example image the portal is filtered by category.  That selection portal (in the popover) has a button that you click in order to add that product.  So the steps are:

1. Click the "Add Item" popover button.

2. Filter the list of options.

3. Click the "Add" button to add that item to your order.

Invoice_Popover.png

HTH

• 13. Re: Pick different material in portal
                                  karina

Hi,

Here's the sample file I made.

Hope this helps you a bit further.