6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 23, 2016 4:29 AM by easyway

Send field data in email or sms

easyway

How do I insert field data into the "message" section when sending an email from Filemaker? The help section simply says "Message indicates the text of the email message. You can type the message as text, use a field value, create a message from a calculation, or insert text from a file."

It doesn't say how to use field values or create a message from a calculation.

I simply want our admin team to be able to send appointment details to our surveyors for the next day, so in the "message" section I want to insert data from "Time", Surname", "Address" etc fields into the message.

Any help much appreciated. I'm using Filemaker 13

• 1. Re: Send field data in email or sms
          TSPigeon

easyway:

Thank you for your post!

You might see:

Calculation Creation Tips | FileMaker

A basic calculation for the Body of an email might be:

[ "Dear " & Table::FirstName & ",¶¶" & "You will find you invoice information below..." & Table::InvoiceConcatenation & "Sincerely, ¶" & Table::SalesRep ]

You can use any combination of Functions, Fields, and Text to make up an email though.

Also, I am going to move this thread from the FileMaker Community Feedback Space, which is specifically for input on the Community itself, to the Discussions Space where you should receive more views and potentially more advice!

TSPigeon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Send field data in email or sms
            DonCollier

I would suggest using the "Send Mail" script step. this will allow you to define a variable which is the content of the email

The link below will help you work it out but ask if you need more help

Send Mail

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Send field data in email or sms
              easyway

Hi Don, thanks for that. I've now managed to create a calculated field with concancenated fields containing the necessary data. However, there seems no way of formating it to be easily legible, all the field data runs into the next without spaces. I've tried inserting returns between each one but it still comes out the same. Any ideas?

• 4. Re: Send field data in email or sms
                DonCollier

Let me have a look at your calculation  . Post it here or in a Dm and i will be able to advice

• 5. Re: Send field data in email or sms
                  easyway

The following works fine except that I can find no way of having "Date" field and "Time" field on the same line with a space between. As it is now each field is on a separate line, which is acceptable, but "Date" and "Time" on one line as well as "House No" and "Street" would be an improvement if there is a simple way. The emails will be received on mobile phones so easy legibility matters. Thanks for your help so far, much appreciated.

Date  &  ¶

&  Time & ¶

& Surname &

¶ & House No & ¶

& Street & ¶

& Town & ¶

& Post Code & ¶

& Tel

• 6. Re: Send field data in email or sms
                    easyway

Hi Don, thanks for your help. I’ve now created a field called “Appointments Message” which I’ve inserted into the script. The Calculation for the concantenation is as follows:

Date  & ¶

& Time & ¶

& Surname &

¶ & House No & ¶

& Street & ¶

& Town & ¶

& Post Code & ¶

& Tel

This seems to work fine and places the fields one per line in the email so I’m quite happy with that. It also automatically highlights the telephone number so it can be dialled instantly by touching the number on the screen in case the surveyor has to call the client about the appointment.

The only thing I would like to do (though perhaps I’m asking too much) is to place the “Date” and “Time” fields on the same line and the “House No” and “Street” on the same line. When I do this there seems to be no way of inserting a space between the two fields. This isn’t a “deal breaker” so I can get by as it is now but if there is a way to do this it would be nice.

Any suggestions appreciated and thanks again for your help.

Kind regards,

Rod