6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 22, 2016 7:30 AM by jbruyet

How do I get access to FMP 13 shared database?

jbruyet

Hey all, it's my job to get a database shared over the network to users. I can go in and share it (and yes, Network Sharing is turned on) but I can't seem to access it from my computer. We've done this in the past with FMP 8 but this database isn't accessible using the same kind of path. In Googling this problem I did see that /fmi/iwp paths won't work any longer.

I tried to change how this database is shared but my "Network access to file" options are greyed out. That leaves me stuck on "Specify users by privilege set." I was going to edit or create a new Privilege set but when I go to File > Manage everything there is greyed out. I checked for FMP local accounts on the computer itself but all I can find are the stock Windows accounts. Apparently I need some additional permissions within FMP.but I can't find a way to get them created and configured. All ideas, suggestions and recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Joe B

• 1. Re: How do I get access to FMP 13 shared database?
          mgeerdes

The best way to "share" a FileMaker database is through FileMaker Server.

Are you using FileMaker server?

If not, make sure you are not trying to file share the file. Trying to open the file with more than one computer at a time will corrupt the file. You will need to have a computer that you always leave on and running Filemaker with the file opened. You will have to open the file on that computer, and then from the File menu, choose Sharing, and Share with FileMaker Clients. Make sure the settings in here are correct, and hit OK, then leave the file open on this computer. Other Clients can connect by doing open remote, and putting in the IP address of this computer.

This is called Peer to peer sharing, and is limited by how many users can connect. If you need more users, you will have to use FileMaker server instead.

Hope this helps.

• 2. Re: How do I get access to FMP 13 shared database?
            jbruyet

Hi Mark, we're just using the normal version of FMP 13 on a dedicated computer. The way we've done this in the past is to do as you suggest and open the database on one computer and leave it open. BUT, we connected to it using a web interface, Instant Web Publishing, and could connect several people at one time. And best of all no one needed FMP on their computers because the web access didn't require it. That's what I'm trying to do now but I'm not able to connect to it. I'm going to try to upload a screen shot so you can see what I'm talking about. FMPWebAccess.PNG

Hmmm... Looks like it worked.

Thanks,

Joe B

• 3. Re: How do I get access to FMP 13 shared database?
              jbruyet

Soooooooo, Instant Web Publishing. I just had an epiphany. That could be IWP. And in my original post I stated that I saw where IWP had been removed from FMP. Are there any options that don't require people to have FMP installed on their computers?

Thanks,

Joe B

• 4. Re: How do I get access to FMP 13 shared database?
                robwoof

There is no IWP equivalent in FMP 13 and later. With FileMaker Server 13, 14 and 15 there is WebDirect, but IWP stopped after FileMaker Pro 12.

You may be able to do what you need using iPads and FileMaker Go - as long as the currently-available versions of FileMaker Go (14 and 15, I think) will connect to FMP 13.

Cheers,
                Rob

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: How do I get access to FMP 13 shared database?
                  bigtom

You should really look into getting FileMaker Server. Worth the money even if you do not realize it now. It will pay you back in the time you spend dealing with issues like this.

With FMS you get Web Direct, but you pay for the connection access. You can uses FMGo on iOS, but you pay for the devices. You can also use CWP Custom Web Publishing where you pay for the knowledge of setting up all the PHP API interaction and building a webpage to support everything you need.

FileMaker is a great tool and IWP was nice for it's limited capabilities and the price. IWP is gone and the other options have a cost somewhere. You pick which one works for you.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: How do I get access to FMP 13 shared database?
                    jbruyet

Thanks everyone for the help. I will look into some of these other options.

Thanks,

Joe B