7 Replies Latest reply on Jun 25, 2016 9:06 AM by mikeo'neil

Using Filemaker pro on iMac and iPad sync

mikegadd

Hi all Could not find out how to do this.

I am new to getting this working so sore if simple to you,  I have "Filemaker Pro licence".

My business is low turnover so cannot afford the server hosted solution (yet) but would love to be able to use a solution on my iPad in studio to add data and then sync to iMac/iCloud in office.   Just the one user me, images data need to be updated from iPad to the master solution on iMac (or suggest a better idea).

Any help appreciated

Mike

• 1. Re: Using Filemaker pro on iMac and iPad sync
          User26869

Hi Mike

If you stay on the same network, you can allow sharing (peer to peer) of your FMPro file and access it using FMGo on your iPad. Any changes would be then directly on the file on your iMac.

Alternatively, you can create a script that you run when your iPad on the network your iMac is on that uses the Import script step to import data from the iPad file into the iMac file.

Cheers

Chloe

• 2. Re: Using Filemaker pro on iMac and iPad sync
            bigtom

I recall Peer to Peer works over WAN as well so you can update data anywhere without needing to be on the same LAN. Sounds like this is what you need if there is a studio and an office in separate locations.

This would generally require that you setup a static IP with your ISP  and forward the oncoming port on your router to the iMac. Some dynamic IP addresses stay the same for months at a time, but a static IP might not be that expensive. If you have a website for your company it should not be hard to add a DNS entry for a sub-domain that points to you IP address. The iMac FMP host would need to be on all the time with the file open for the. Set energy saving to never let hard disk sleep and disable AppNap. Display can sleep. Should be good to go after that.

Once you get it all setup, when you move to FileMaker Server it will pretty much drop right in to what you have already in terms of network stuff.

• 3. Re: Using Filemaker pro on iMac and iPad sync
              bigtom

If it is just one user there are ways to "sync", but I think you really should consider the live connection if you will have internet access wherever the iPad is in use.

• 4. Re: Using Filemaker pro on iMac and iPad sync
                mikeo'neil

Hi Mike,

You have had some sharp folks give you some advice. Having just gone through something similar I would like to suggest a couple of things to you.

Download the Filemaker GO 15 Development Guide and look under "About File Transfers", or look in the Filemaker Go 14 Development guide on pages 7 & 8. This explains the script procedure for you.

FileMaker Go 15 Development Guide

Take a look under this post for some issues I encountered.

Import on FMGO 14

Read the iOS Sync Guide (good article).

iOS: Sync

I think bigtom suggested the best method when a network connection can be assured but also plan for when the connection is down.

Good Luck,

Mike

• 5. Re: Using Filemaker pro on iMac and iPad sync
                  mikegadd

Thanks for the help, had a try getting pier to pier could not get to connect but that is down to my lack of understanding.

Will have another go, and see if I can fine a tutorial on Live connection.

I am sure somebody must have managed to do this.

Mike

• 6. Re: Using Filemaker pro on iMac and iPad sync
                    mikeo'neil

Mike,

I should have a sample set of files and instructions to help you tomorrow. I will post them when I get the instructions done. Look for it mid-day.

Mike

• 7. Re: Using Filemaker pro on iMac and iPad sync
                      mikeo'neil

Mike,

Download and open. On menu Button Bar, select Instructions. Its a pdf document that outlines the steps for importing records from the iOS device or the Desktop device. Its not a sync process. Look at scripts in the files.

Good Luck

Mike